Chapter 84

In a flash of a light, Sirius was thrown across the room and laid there unconscious.

     Horror struck me as I stared down at my hands and the wand. But I tried to forget about the lights still illuminating through my skin and I tried to let go of the fact that I had just performed the first spell that came into my mind, as I stared at him.

I was relieved at first as I watched Sirius in the distance, thinking that it was my Stunning Spell that had hit him. But my heart sank and I panicked once more when Bellatrix shrieked in laughter triumphantly and ran out of the room.

What if both of our spells had hit him at the same time...?

"NO! SIRIUS!" Harry yelled, running towards his motionless body and I stood there, frozen on my spot, ignoring the pain through my skin that felt like it was burning my alive.

"Sirius... no..." Harry panted, trying to shake him furiously . "WAKE UP!"

"Harry, stop..." Lupin ran forward and pulled Harry back as he cried. "Stop..."

"NO!" Harry yelled, but when he caught sight of Bellatrix running away, he jerked free from Lupin's grasp and ran out after her, his wand raised.

Everyone's eyes were glued on Sirius and none looking at me, as if they had only heard Bellatrix's curse. As if no one had even noticed my spell hitting him.

Lupin's knees gave in and he kneeled down on the floor where Sirius laid, staring at him in shock and horror.

I glanced back at Dumbledore as I panted and saw that he was the only person looking at me, staring between me and the wand in my hand.

But his head jerked towards where Harry and Bellatrix had left just a minute ago, and so he ran out after them.

I let go of the wand and it fell down before my feet. I felt a painful headache trying to bend me down, but I tried to move forward. I had to see Sirius.

I had to see him one last time...

I dragged my feet along, but it felt impossible to take another step. My gaze glued on Sirius's body and eyes full of tears, I tried to move on.

But the room started spinning and I held a hand up to my head, determined to get to him.

But soon, my legs gave out and I dropped to the floor, the world going dark to my eyes and the voices fading to my ears.

***

I could hear nothing when I felt myself waking up, not even able to open my eyes as the headache remained with me. But the pain in my burning skin was fully gone now.

But I kept trying to move myself a bit, to feel that I was still alive and to make sure that I was not dreaming.

"Lexi?" I heard a familiar voice calling me softly.

I groaned, trying to open my eyes slowly, but found that I still couldn't. And then, I felt warm hands holding onto one of my, squeezing it gently.

And just then I knew exactly who they belonged to.

As if receiving a new strength, I finally managed to weakly open my eyes half-way, tilting my head to the side to see Fred sitting on a chair next to me, where I laid down on a bed.

I glanced around me, only to find myself inside a white room which I'd never been in before. It looked like a hospital private room, but I was sure that it was neither at Hogwarts, nor in the Muggle world.

"Where am I?" I said feebly, my mind blank of recent memories.

"St. Mungo's," said Fred, watching me worriedly. "How are you feeling, Lex?"

"Fi — ouch!" I winced in pain as my head started spinning again.

"I was so worried when Dad told us what happened," said Fred in a hollow voice.

      He looked as if he was about to say something else, but he thought against it as he came forward and planted a kiss on my forehead. "I'm so glad that you're alright."

I smiled as he sat right there beside me at the edge of the bed, his hands still holding onto mine.

     "Look, Lexi," Fred started awkwardly. "Dumbledore's here and he wants to see you. Whenever you're feeling better, of course."

     My smile faded as soon as I heard his name and my eyes widened, every second of last night flashing through my eyes.

     "Oh, my God!" I cried out, sitting up straight. "Sirius!"

     "I-I'll go call Dumbledore now..." Fred muttered mostly to himself and promptly got to his feet and immediately left the room.

     My headache became worse as the feeling of panic overwhelmed me once more.

     Sirius is dead...

     Just then, the door opened once more and Dumbledore came in with Fred right behind him.

     "Thank you, Mr. Weasley," said Dumbledore in a tone which clearly meant that there was no space left for arguing. "I'll send for you when Miss Hooper and I are done talking. I'm sure she's in need of your company. But that will have to wait a little longer."

     Fred stood there motionless, staring at Dumbledore as if he was about to protest. But at one last glance at me, he nodded and left the room, closing the door behind him.

     "How are you feeling, Lexi?" Dumbledore asked softly, sitting on the chair next to my bed.

     I just shook my head and looked down, unable to form words and say them out loud.

     "S-sirius," I said in a stutter, my lips trembling as I looked down, my eyes tearing up again. "He's... he's d..."

     "Lexi, I'm not here to talk about Sirius," said Dumbledore. "I want to talk about what happened to you last night in the Department of Mysteries."

      "What does it matter!? SIRIUS IS DEAD!"

     "Lexi, I want you to relax —"

     "HOW CAN YOU ASK ME TO RELAX!"

     Dumbledore stared at me in silence for long seconds as he watched me breathe heavily, before he finally said, "Because Sirius Black is alive."