Chapter 56

"So let me get this straight," George started with a grin. "You want us to be taught by a hormonal fifteen year old boy with anger issues?"

"Er..." said Hermione hesitantly. "Yes. That's pretty much the whole idea."

Fred and George gave each other a knowing look and turned back on Hermione with a smirk, saying together, "We're in!"

"Great!" Hermione smiled in satisfaction. "Then meet us in Hogsmeade at Hog's Head next weekend at noon. I know you already know what's been going on. But we want everybody else to hear what Harry has to say."

"Awesome! We'll be there," Fred grinned. "What do you say, Lexi?"

He turned his head on me, only to see my gaze had now fallen on the floor.

Hermione, who had read through my expression and was probably thinking around the same lines as I was, turned to Fred and said, "Lexi won't be joining us."

"What!?" Fred and George exclaimed, their eyes widened.

"Well..." Hermione lowered her voice, continuing, "she can't really do magic."

"So?" Fred raised a brow at her furiously, meanwhile I remained silence.

"So we can't risk her exposure! It would be highly irresponsible!" Hermione hissed quietly. "If someone finds out that Lexi is not a witch, do you know what will happen? The ministry will send her away and obliviate her! Is that what you want?"

Fred's face went pale and his gaze fell down, muttering in a low voice, "Of course not."

"I'm sorry, Lexi," Hermione turned to me and said sympathetically. "Surely you understand?"

I bit my lip, not being able to say anything and so I merely nodded.

***

The next week passed by miserably for me as I could think of nothing but Dumbledore's Army and the fact that I couldn't get in it.

     I thought about telling Hermione not to invite Cho and her friend, who would end up telling Umbridge about it.

      But I thought about the consequences which it could bring; if the girl never betrays the DA, Harry might never break up with Cho, which means he would never date Ginny, and all this could lead to the possibility of their three children never being born.

     So with that thought, I held myself back and let Hermione invite those two Ravenclaws to their first meeting in Hog's Head.

It was the day before the Hogsmeade visit and I was once more sitting in the Gryffindor common room with Fred and George, my arms folded as I stared grumpily at the wall.

"What's wrong with you? Is it that time of month?" George joked with a grin and I glared at him. "I'll take that look as a yes."

He started laughing but it faded away as I punched him hard in the arm.

"Ouch!" he cried out, rubbing his arm in pain. "Fred! Control your woman!"

Fred chuckled, putting the product he was working on down and looking at me. "Any particular reason that you're on a punching spree?"

"What do you think?" I huffed.

"Look," he lowered his voice, continuing, "if it's about coming to the meeting, I want you to be there too. I really do, trust me. But you heard Hermione. As much as I would hate to agree, but she had a point. It's too risky. You can get in trouble."

I scoffed. "Oh, you're one to talk."

"The worst George and I can get, is being expelled," said Fred.

"Which we couldn't care less about," said George with a proud grin.

"Exactly," Fred nodded. "But if one of those dungbrains in our meetings finds out about you and goes blabbing to Umridge..." his voice trailed off along with his smile.

"It's just not worth it," George finished sternly.

"You guys don't understand," I muttered, sighing.

"Try us," George shrugged with a grin.

"It's not just about it being fun," I started to say. "It's — complicated."

"Maybe if you tried to explain it, we would understand," said Fred. "We're smarter than we look like, you know." He winked and I chuckled.

"I can't tell you the whole thing; Dumbledore's forbidden me," I said. "But all I can say is that — when the time comes — something would happen that involves a few members of this group to go — er — somewhere, and something will happen that I used to think I could stop, even though Dumbledore has asked me not to meddle," I said, trying to keep my voice from cracking as I thought about Sirius and Harry's friends, going to the Ministry.

I paused for a few seconds, but when the twins didn't say anything on the matter, I went on,

"But I-I just thought that even though I have no magic, if I could get into this group, maybe — just maybe — I could go with them and stop the thing from happening. But without getting in this group... I'm not sure if I stand a chance; with or without magic."

I finished, looking up at them only to see them staring at me with confusion.

"Do you know what I'm talking about?"

"Nope," they said at the same time, looking puzzled.

"Never mind," I sighed, shaking my head as I leaned back on my chair again with disappointment.

"Oh, c'mon, Lex. Don't be like that," said Fred, standing up and coming towards me, sitting on my chair's arm and bringing me to a hug. "I'm sure you'll make it through."

I chuckled but then looked up at him with a cheeky smile, saying loudly, "Cheesy Weasley's out once again, ladies and gentlemen!"

Fred grinned, nudging me playfully. "Oh, shut up, Professor Snappy."