Chapter 83

The next moment, I felt a burning pain run all over my body, more painful than I could ever imagine as I drew my legs up to my chest, writhed on the ground, and screamed my lungs out.

      The next moment, the pain stopped as I heard Bellatrix say above me, "That was just a taster!"

     I laid there sobbing by her feet as she still had her wand raised down at me, trembling.

     "Now, Potter, either give us the prophecy, or watch your little friend die the hard way!" she said, but before giving Harry the chance to even move, she shrieked out once more, "Crucio!"

      I screamed in agony, my tears streaming down my face as the pain burned my skin from inside. All I wanted was for it to end. All I knew was that death would've been easier.

      But just then, the pain suddenly came to a stop as I saw a jet of light hit Bellatrix and she was thrown away, hitting the wall behind her.

     Looking up through teary eyes, I saw two more doors bursting open above us and in came Lupin, Tonks, Moody, Kingsley.

     And before all of them, there stood Sirius, his wand raised at where Bellatrix stood seconds ago. "That's what you get for hurting her," he snarled.

     Meanwhile in the back, out of the shock at the sudden crashing sound of Bellatrix being thrown away, Harry jerked abruptly around, the prophecy slipped from his hand, and fell to the floor.

     Lucius leaped forward to catch it, but he was too late as the orb hit the ground and shattered into pieces.

     The Death Eaters were completely distracted by the appearance of the members of the Order, who were now raining spells down upon them as they jumped from step to step toward the sunken floor. They let go of us and dashed forward to fight them.

      "Get down!" Tonks shrieked as she led us behind staircase for shelter as the rest of the members of the order were dwelling.

      Harry was the only one of us who was still in the middle of the battle, with Sirius by his side.

      "Petrificus Totalus!" Harry yelled, his wand pointed at Dolohov whose arms and legs snapped together and he keeled over backward, landing with a crash on his back.

      "Nice one!" shouted Sirius, forcing Harry's head down as a pair of Stunning Spells flew toward them. "Now I want you to get out of —" They both ducked again.

      A jet of light had narrowly missed Sirius and instead hit Tonks and threw her away, her wand falling right before my feet as Bellatrix gave a triumphant shriek of laughter.

      "Harry, take the others and run!" Sirius yelled, dashing to meet Bellatrix.

      Harry started running towards us as Sirius had asked him to. But just then, Hermione cried out from beside me as she pointed above us at one of the doors, "Oh, God... Dumbledore!"

      We all looked up and saw that directly above us, framed in the doorway which we had fallen through, stood Albus Dumbledore, his wand aloft, his face white and furious.

      Dumbledore was already at the foot of the steps when the Death Eaters nearest realized he was there. There were yells; one of the Death Eaters ran for it, but he pulled him back with his wand.

      Only Sirius and Bellatrix were still battling, apparently unaware of the new arrival.

      The pain from her curse still had me trembling and shaking as I watched them in horror.

     Surely Dumbledore is going to see them...

      I thought to myself hopelessly, a feeling of panic rushing through me as I looked at Sirius, and a hatred I'd never felt before, seeing Bellatrix fight him.

     He is going to save him... he has to...

     But Dumbledore was busy pulling back the running Death Eaters towards him effortlessly, as though he had hooked them with an invisible line.

      Someone's going to stop her...

      Now a new wave of pain was rushing through my body and I didn't know the reason to. But I didn't care.

     Sirius can't die...

      The pain was growing unbearable as I sat down on the floor, still hidden behind the stairs with the others.

     I have to do something...

     I knew that all I had to do was to push Sirius aside, so Bellatrix's final curse wouldn't hit him.

      But I had no idea how I was supposed to get to him, being so powerless and weak. Specially now that I felt as if my skin was going to burst into flames.

      What is happening to me...?

     I wondered, panting as I looked down at my hands and I yelped out in horror at the sight of them.

     "Oh, my..." I gasped, my eyes widened as I stared down.

      Through every single vain inside my hands, an illuminating blue light was flashing through, getting brighter and brighter by the second.

      I was panicking as the pain started to grow worse and the light inside my body surged.

     But I forgot all that again as I heard Sirius yell at Bellatrix as he dwelled her in the distance, "Come on, you can do better than that!"

      I knew what was going to happen. I knew what awaited him. But he was clueless. He just laughed, his voice echoing around the cavernous room.

     Everything happened at once;

      I could feel the light now illuminating through my entire body as the pain spread through, and I felt like I was going to pass out any second now.

     Sirius was slightly distracted as he ducked once more and laughed. Bellatrix took the opportunity and raised her wand at him.

     My gaze suddenly fell upon Tonks's wand which laid a few inches away from me.

      So not caring as to what I was doing, not even thinking about how I couldn't do any magic, I leaped forward on instinct and took the wand in my hand and promptly got to my feet, even though it was killing me to do so.

      Knowing that it was too late to disarm Bellatrix, for she had already opened her mouth to cry out, I raised my wand and pointed it at Sirius, as Bellatrix and I shouted at the same time,

     "STUPEFY!"

     "AVADA KEDAVRA!"