Chapter 08

"Oh relax, Hooper," said Fred between his shrieks of laughter, "it was just water."

     "Yeah, it could've been a lot worse." said George.

     I breathed heavily, in and out, staring around in horror. None of it had disappeared. It was all real.

     "Come on, the classes start today." Said Lee, wiping tears of laughter off his face. "Go get changed and get your books quickly, or we'll miss breakfast. We'll wait for you if you hurry."

     Still in shock, I started going upstairs and into the dormitory. The other girls were already gone. But just then, my glance fell upon a note on my bed. Curiously filling me up, I went and quickly picked it up, reading through,

     Dear Miss Hooper,

     You'll find all your new Hogwarts belongings on the stand next to your bed, such as your school robes, books, and a wand that does not work, so in order to hide your identity from others, I suggest that you don't let the wand fall into others' hands.

All Professors are aware of your situation, therefore they will all help with your excuses when it comes to practical wand work. Also, there's a school fond for those students who are unable to afford their supplies throughout their years at Hogwarts.

     Please stick to the classes' schedule which will be given to you and try to remain calm. I don't know how much knowledge you obtain, but what I do know is that with your help, we can stop many tragic things from happening. The sooner you realize that you have this power in you, the better.

Although, please keep in mind that every action has its own consequences and one mustn't meddle with time thoughtlessly.

A.D

     I put the note down, my headache growing more and more unbearable. I quickly got ready and ran downstairs, where Lee, Fred, and George were waiting for me, and soon we made our way to the Great Hall.

     Professor McGonagall handed us our timetables when we sat behind the Gryffindor table, where many plates of eggs, toasts, and bacons were served. The boys helped themselves with a bit of everything, talking excitedly about the Triwizard Tournament.

     But I, on the other hand, couldn't bring myself to eat, I couldn't speak, and I couldn't listen to them with the same interest I showed yesterday.

     "So here's the plan," said George cunningly. "Today when Snape's teaching the third years in second period, which is when we have free time, we'll snick into his office and borrow whatever there is we need to make the aging potion."

     "Lee, you have a free period now," said Fred. "So you go to the library and get whatever book there is for this."

     "You sure you don't want to compete?" Asked George, turning to Lee.

     "Yeah, I'm sure." He nodded. "Didn't you listen to what Dumbledore said about the amount of death tolls?"

     "That's why it's so brilliant!" Fred and George said together.

     "I swear, I'm still not used to you two speaking at once." Lee admitted earnestly. "Seriously, it creeps me out."

     George opened his mouth to reply, but I didn't get to hear what he was going to say, because at the very moment Fred interrupted him, turning to me,

     "You okay, kid?" Fred asked, causing George and Lee to stop in the middle of their conversation, looking at me suddenly.

     "Yeah." I nodded, forcing a weak smile.

     "You sure?" George continued. "Fred's right. You do seem a bit quiet today."

Lee gave him a look. "You just met her yesterday."

     "What do you have for your first class? Cause if you have potions with Snape I'm sure he'll be able to cheer you up!" said Fred sarcastically, but as much I would've found that funny any other time, I couldn't even bring myself to smile.

     "Actually... I think I'm gonna skip first period." I said, getting off my seat quickly, making my way over the Great Hall's door. "I'll see you guys later."

***

I tried to find my way out of a castle and go by the shore of the Black Lake. Although it took me almost an hour to go all the way and find the spot.

But on my way, unlike last night, I gasped at the sight of each ghost that floated above me, and nearly dripped out of shock whenever the staircases started to move. I even made a run for it when I came upon the moving pictures and the talking suits of armor.

     When I finally reached the Black Lake and found myself alone, I sat against a tree trunk, staring into the surface of the water.

I had always wished to Hogwarts, to get my letter with an owl, go shopping in Diagon Alley with my parents, and study at Hogwarts. But deep down I knew none of those were real, and even though I wished they could come true, I was sure that magic and wizards and ghosts were just a part of our imagination.

     I didn't know what to believe and what to think. I wanted to be here with all my heart, but I knew it was only a matter of time until Voldemort would be back. How was I supposed to stay here and fight if I had no magic? I was just an ordinary Muggle.

     But just then, I was snapped out of my thoughts and dragged back to reality when I heard footsteps approaching me.

     "Well, well! Look who's here!" My head jerked back as I heard someone say from behind me.