Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Cindy

I woke up, and immediately felt nauseous. I rubbed my eyes and blinked a couple of times. Where was I? For a second I had trouble remembering recent events, but it didn't take time before it became clear. Figuring out Colton was a traitor, how Amber showed up and then...I woke up here, where? It looked like I was in a hospital room. I sat up and looked around and first when my eyes landed on Ryan sleeping in a chair beside the bed, I knew. I was probably back home; I think he mentioned once they have some sort of hospital wing. I saw a water pitcher and a glass on the nightstand and I immediately reached for it. I think the low sounds of movement was enough to wake him up, because in the next second he was standing. Or at least it felt like a second.

"Cindy" he said and looked like he saw me for the first time. He saw me reaching for the water and quickly took over and poured a glass for me, handing it to me. "Thank god you're awake" he said and placed a soft kiss on my forehead. He sat back down in the chair after dragging it closer. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

After I had gulped down the entire glass, I cleared my throat. I could tell my voice would still be hoarse, but it was better. "Thank you" I answered. "I'm fine" I managed to say, but that statement wasn't true. Well, it wasn't a complete lie. I was fine, but I was also hurt, but he knew that.

"Cindy..." He started. His eyes landed on the bruise I had on my cheek. It was a dead giveaway how I had gotten it. Everyone with eyes could clearly see I hadn't fell or hurt myself by accident. Not that anyone would believe that after the last couple of days anyway.

"It's fine" I stated, not really in the mood to talk about it, mostly because I was starting to believe people were right. That I wasn't cut out for this, to this life and future.

He took my hands in his. "No, it's not fine. Look at yourself, bruised and beaten, and you say it's fine, why would you say something like that?" He asked gently, but he was also angry, I could tell.

I sighed; "I'm not saying I'm okay with what happened, but after for so long, been told you're not worth anything, you start to doubt yourself. Then I thought that would change, because I met you and life seemed to be good again. Then someone with the same values a my step family from this very place says the same, and goes to such great lengths to get rid of me...how can it be they are all wrong? What if parts of it is true, what If I really am not good enough for this life, the future position of leader along with you?" I voiced my thoughts out loud.

It looked like he struggled to keep himself calm when I said that. "I'm gonna' kill him" He mumbled.

I frowned; "Who?" I asked.

"Colton!" He erupted. "I'm gonna' kill him for planting those ideas in your head!" He yelled.

I looked away. Was I feeling guilty and ashamed for having those thought about myself? Yes, I was, but it was still thoughts I believed could be the truth.

"Yes, maybe your step family has said those things, and Colton too, but so far, that's four people in total. The one on the opposite side, the ones who know the truth, are a lot more people, you just met us later in life. Why would you believe the ones putting you down instead of those trying to help you up, why?" he demanded.

"Because every time something good happens, something bad gets in the way, like stopping it because I am unfixable. I am weak, unlike the rest of you, I am human, I have no knowledge of how to be a leader in the future, why on earth would people believe I am suitable for this life? The pack and you would be better off without me, just admit it, that somewhere along the lines, the pairing of you and me were a mistake" I said. It felt like I was stabbing myself by speaking those words, but the truth is the truth. I wanted nothing more than to be with him, but he deserved someone way better than me.