Chapter 61: Perfect Mystery

(Y/n) woke up with a massive gasp, panting heavily as she assessed her surroundings. The three males that had been watching over her were immediately relieved, crowding her with concerns about how she was. Question after question came out of their mouths, Takuya nuzzling her to show how scared he had been. Bastien didn't really understand what was going on but he sure was happy to see so many people he liked smiling.

"Thank goodness!" the white-haired male beamed, placing a kiss on her cheek, "Are you doing better?"

The younger girl suddenly felt a sharp pain in her head, forced to remember everything that happened. As it all flooded back to her, she felt rage burn for Shota. That was probably the stupidest thing he could have done to her if he was looking for her love. Angrily, she pushed past everyone to get to him, only to find his door ajar, allowing her to push her way in and see him sit motionless at his desk. He stared wistfully at a picture of his younger sister, not acknowledging the (h/c) haired girl's presence.

When she ripped the photo from his hands, he had little to no reaction. The male just bit down gently on his lip, having no words. For what he had done to her, he had none at all. If her constant rejection of him wasn't enough, surely Rei's little talk did the trick. At that point, he couldn't even feel anger for the blonde. He should have known Rei would do what Rei did best: torment him as efficiently as possible.

"If you want to hurt me, I recommend fetching Rei. He's...the best at everything."

"The fuck do I care about Rei right now?" she snapped, slamming the picture on his desk and watching the redhead flinch, "He's not the one that trapped me in a freezer because I didn't want to play a game with him."

Shota paused, glancing up at her and resisting the urge to beg for her pity. He wanted to curl up in her arms and let her scold him however she wanted. As long as he had someone's warmth, he didn't really care what they said anymore. No one would ever praise him anyway. He should have just adopted whatever insane things Rei did to get himself through life. Clearly, it was working for him.

"He would," the male responded, "If you give him the chance, he'll lock you up, too, even if it's for a different reason."

"Oh, yeah? And would his reason happen to be better than yours?"

"I didn't want you in pain. He would. I was just...angry, so I lost control of myself, not that it's a great excuse, but Rei - "

"For someone who seems to hate his guts, his name sure does slip out of your lying little mouth, doesn't it?"

The red-haired male bit down on his lip a bit harder. He supposed that was true, now that she brought it up. As much as he wished everyone would just forget about the blonde and move on to something else, he was probably the person who thought about him the most. With it coming out about Akari's stalking (Y/n), it wouldn't surprise him if he even thought more about the prince than his own playmate. It was so ironic.

"How can I possibly stop thinking about someone like him?" Shota spat out with spite, "Ever since we met, that's all he's been to me: someone I couldn't possibly beat even if I put my all into it."

"Beat?"

"He's...perfect," the male conveyed through gritted teeth, putting a bitter emphasis on "perfect" as if it physically harmed him to admit it, "In everything he does, really. It doesn't matter what. Sports, academics, you name it. It's always gotten on my nerves. He gets the attention and I don't. It's how it is. My own mother refuses to so much as look at me and yet she puts so much pride into him when he's not even her own flesh and blood."

The male's features twisted in both envy and malice as he thought about it, the words he spoke leaving a sour taste in his mouth. Truthfully, he didn't want to continue and relive the experiences from his past, but he recognized the look of curiosity in (Y/n)'s eyes and smiled at the sight of it. He brushed his thumb across her lips, nearing his own to her but stopping a few inches before truly touching her. If she was willing to listen to him, he was even willing to talk about the blonde. That was how desperate he was for just a few moments of warmth.