Chapter 50: Heights

Rei was eager to show everyone around the capital city. He was especially boastful to Haru, who, frankly, could not stand the country. The blonde knew that but it was also exactly why he kept pushing how wonderful it was, bragging about their superior flora and fauna. Haru didn't care about stuff like that. He just got mad because Rei kept blabbing about how his country was better than Haru's. Everyone else was just caught in the crossfire.

"Get off your device!" Rei snapped, attempting to snatch the thing away from the brunette.

"Please, knock it off," Shota sighed, doing his best to separate them, "There's no need to force him to listen to you. Everyone else is."

"Aren't you always complaining about how much of a brat he is? I'm doing everyone a favor and disciplining him!"

"You're just going to make him more resentful."

Despite the red-haired male's protests, Rei continued harping on Haru as they walked around. He'd poke him and prod him, attempting to wear down his nerves, but the brunette took a page from Shota's book and pretended not to care. When he did that, all of a sudden, the blonde became bored of him. A small little smirk played on the younger male's lips, one that he quickly hid when Yamato gestured to it. When Rei finally spoke up again, he gave a condescending chuckle.

"I'd love to show everyone around all the gardens, but I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't know how to appreciate natural beauty. Maybe an art museum would be easier on your poor, little Athainian brains."

"Do remember (Y/n) is from Athain, too, won't you, your highness?"

"That's different," Rei huffed, slowing down his pace to hook his arm around the girl's waist, "Besides, aren't you just assuming she's Athainian? You didn't even ask the poor thing."

"I'm not jumping to conclusions," the red-haired scoffed, motioning to the younger girl, "Just look at her. If that wasn't enough proof, she clearly has an Athainian accent and she has our traditional values. If she was Vethelan, do you really think she'd be looking at you like you're a worm?"

"You're never any fun, Shota. It doesn't matter anyway. You'll be Vethelan soon enough, won't you, cupcake? Ah, instead of looking at some art, maybe you'd prefer to go get official documents for it? Hm? Do you want a Vethelan passport? They're so much prettier than any other passport."

"Rei! Ugh. Just take us to the museum."

The blonde shrugged and pressed a kiss to the girl's cheek before taking them to a gorgeous building. It wasn't nearly the size of the palace but it was bigger than the other buildings in the capital. Maybe different heights were allowed depending on the use of the building. Either way, the architecture alone was a work of art, clearly having a strong root in the traditional style of Vethelan buildings. (Y/n) couldn't tell if it was brand new or ancient, considering it was clean and polished as could be but nonetheless grand and inspired.

The art inside the building was nothing to laugh at either. Vethelans really knew their art, each piece placed in a specific categorized spot. For example, the paintings were in a completely different part of the building than the statues. And, even further, oil paintings were separate from those made from watercolor. Even still, they were divided and divided into so many different categories, including style, time period, artist, and too many more to count. Even Rei couldn't explain it all, merely mumbling that they liked similar things with similar things. She didn't fully understand that meant.

Regardless, the art was impeccable. It wasn't like (Y/n) was exposed to a lot of art or anything but she could definitely tell how loved the pieces were. There were tiny imperfections, too, making them all the more beautiful. Slowly, she walked along to observe them, her eyes lingering on certain pieces for a longer period of time.