14

I walked home, full of nerves. I was finding it difficult to get the lightning to stay down- that was something I'd noticed whenever I was nervous or excited. I guess the unsettled feelings in my stomach would run in sync with the lightning, and so together, I imagined they could make quite a team. In this case, however, that was not a good thing.

So many questions were running through my head. Why was I so nervous? It was only Adam. I mean, I hadn't known him for long, but it was long enough to consider him a friend. It's not like I had to go out with him again, either. I wouldn't be bumping into him at uni, so things wouldn't even be awkward if things didn't go to plan.

What was I going to wear?

What if his uncle didn't like me?

Why did I care if his uncle liked me or not?

I walked through the front door, bumping straight into Jake who was walking into the kitchen. He was carrying a pile of plates, and had a mug balancing on the top, however me bumping into him caused that mug to fall. My racing thoughts seemed to catch on to the fact that the mug was falling, and within milliseconds, electricity shot through my veins and super-charged my reflexes. I reached forward, caught the mug mid-fall, and then stepped back, holding the mug.

"I would clap but my hands are full." Jake said, amused. "That was fucking awesome."

I chuckled, putting the mug on the side.

"Why do you look on-edge?" Jake asked, his voice slightly laced with concern.

I didn't like the fact that you could see that I was nervous, so tried to laugh it off. "I, uh, I think I'm going on a date tonight." I said.

Jake's eyebrows went up. "You think?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said. "He invited three of us to go out tonight, but apparently told the others to say they couldn't make it."

Jake laughed. "That's a date." He said. "Who's it with? That Adam dude?"

I nodded.

"And you're not excited?" He asked.

"I don't know." I chuckled. "It's all rather unexpected."

"I think you should be excited." Jake said. "He seems like a nice guy. Besides, if you decide you don't like him, you don't have to see him again."

Everyone was telling me this, including myself, so I knew it had to be true.

"Just enjoy it." He said. "Be excited. You obviously like the guy, or you wouldn't even consider it. Make the most of it."

I smiled after a moment of thought. "You know what, you're right." I said.

"I know." He said smugly.

"I'm gonna go and get changed." I said, before running upstairs, still full of nerves but also a little bit of excitement.

_________