5

I woke the next morning with the unusual need to burn some energy. So, I got up, got dressed, and decided to go for a run. It was a crisp morning, and so I took advantage of the fact that I had an excuse to go out in the cold wearing a T-shirt, without looking too out of place. I ran along the front of the Thames, the sound of my feet pounding on the pavement filling my ears with a constant rhythm, alongside the sloshing sound of the river lapping against the banks. I liked listening to music, however when outside I liked to keep all of my senses awake and alert to my surroundings. Ronan had always advised that I do this, too, and after everything that had happened over the last couple of years, I always had to expect the unexpected. Not to mention the fact that the last time I wore headphones home, my phone had been snatched.

"Millie!" I heard my name being called, but from a distance. I slowed my pace a little, just so that I could take a look around, and then noticed someone in a grey hoodie running behind me. When they got closer, I realised it was Adam. I stopped running, allowing him to catch up, before commencing a steady jog again.

"I haven't seen you running along here before." Adam said.

I chuckled. "Yeah, I don't run very often. Just felt like it this morning."

"Fair enough." He said.

"You don't even live around here?" I said, curious as to why he'd come all the way from central.

"No." He chuckled. "But the running routes are way better down here."

"True that." I agreed. I noticed then that Adam was beginning to get out of breath, although he didn't say anything. I wondered if he was just trying to keep a straight face to impress, but then realised we were running relatively quickly. Plus, I didn't know how long he'd been running for before he'd seen me. Sometimes I forgot that my elemental abilities provided me with more energy than the usual human might possess.

Without making it too obvious that I noticed his tiredness, I slowed down my pace. He didn't say anything if he did notice.

"Sorry if my uncle was a little intense last night." Adam said.

I looked at him. I mean, his uncle was a little off, but not enough for me to dislike him. "What? He was fine." I said.

Adam chuckled. "You don't have to pretend. I know sometimes he gets a little uneasy when I introduce him to new people."

I shrugged. "You don't need to apologise. It must be a little frightening to have a load of students swarm into your restaurant." I chuckled.

Adam laughed. "I suppose. Just know that he won't always be like that. Once he gets to know you, he will be okay."

"I suppose you'll just have to invite us back to his restaurant." I smirked.

"That, I will." Adam said. There was a moment of silence between us, with nothing but the sound of our feet hitting the concrete. It wasn't an awkward silence, though.

"For someone who doesn't run often, you sure can keep up a good pace." Adam said, breaking the silence.

"I said I didn't run often, not that I was completely unfit." I corrected. I mean, I obviously couldn't tell him the real reason behind my high stamina, but I didn't have to lie completely. Training with Ronan was sometimes quite strenuous, especially if it meant running and tackling and throwing punches here and there.

Adam just smiled. "I do apologise."

"Apology accepted." I said, as we started approaching my turning. We'd run quite a way, turning back on ourselves at some point to run back the way we'd come. "Anyway, this is me. I guess I'll see you around?"

"Of course." Adam said. "I'll get Ryan to get everyone together again."

"Awesome." I smiled, before turning away.

____________