48. Seconds Passing

Start from the beginning

All she wanted to ask was if he was going to live; can you save him? But her mouth just wasn't opening to speak; she couldn't form words.

This was all happening because of her; she was so fucking selfish.

"So, will he be alright? Will he be okay?" luckily Jimin was next to her to steady her, to ask the questions pounding in her head.

"Fortunately, the knife didn't touch any important organs so we must stop the bleeding, it doesn't look like we need a transfusion at this stage, he really should be fine as long as we operate on him as soon as possible."

Bringing her hands to bury her head in them, she paused.

The tears didn't even need much time to start pouring down her face as she stared at the red stains sketched over her fingers. She had so many peoples' blood on her hands, and now she had Taehyung's as well.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," the profanities rushed out of her involuntarily, she had Taehyung's blood on her hands.

If he died, she killed him.

She killed him.

The groan escaped her then, as she threw her head back, the tears not stopping.

"Guys," a quiet voice interrupted the silence in the hall and Jiah opened her eyes to see Jungkook walk over, a plastic bag in each hand.

He had never looked as small as he did now.

"Please eat something. You're both going to need an operating room yourselves."

Both Jimin and Jiah shook their heads, "Thank you Jungkook," Jimin spoke, "but I'd rather wait a bit. Thank you, though."

"Jiah?"

She simply shook her head, not able to say anything more.

Jungkook sighed, taking a seat between the two of them, "The doctor said he's going to be fine," he repeated what he'd heard earlier, "he's going to live, okay guys?"

And without saying anything more, Jungkook took both Jiah and Jimin's hands in his own.

Giving them a small squeeze, they continued to sit in silence, staring at the door to the operating room.

Helpless but hopeful.

--

Twenty-seven thousand six hundred and fifty-seven seconds.

A nurse had come waddling down to the three of them, Jungkook being the only one to stand.

It may have seemed offensive to anyone else, but both Jiah and Jimin were waiting for one person and one person only.

If the health professional wasn't walking out of those doors with Taehyung's medical charts in hand, they weren't interested.

"For the surgery, we need a guardian to sign the paperwork," her words blurred into clarity, "Because it is the second surgery he's having today."

Jiah's ears perked up. Second?

Immediately, she was at the nurse's side, looking down at the papers.

"D-Do you uh-" she managed to croak, but before she could offer much help, Jimin was standing too.

"I'm his guardian," he said tiredly, "Where do you need me to sign?"

Jiah's gaze fell, resenting herself yet again.

Why could she not do anything to help?

Once Jimin was done, he flopped back down into his seat.