43. He Belives In Us

"Okay, you have so much to tell me," Jiah jumped onto the couch and patted the spot next to her, "You better spill right now

"Okay, you have so much to tell me," Jiah jumped onto the couch and patted the spot next to her, "You better spill right now."

"Jiah," he said lowly, joining her on the sofa but pulling out Hoseok's phone from his back pocket first, "I need to show you this."

She furrowed her eyebrows, fingers twitching as she went to hold the device.

"What's this?" she asked and stared at it for a few seconds before a gasp left her mouth. "It's Hoseok's, isn't it?"

"Yeah," he pursed his lips to keep them from trembling, "I found it at the restaurant."

"What?"

"That room you shoved us into when you saw Scar, that was like some sort of storage space. They had boxes and boxes of stuff; this was in the box labelled 'Scar'."

"Well," biting her lip, she looked down at the phone again, "Have you looked in it?"

He nodded.

"Did you find anything?"

Unlocking the phone, he went to the messages page, opening up their group messages.

And there it was, a message in the bottom right with the text 'Unable to Send. Try Again'.

1984186

"The heck?" she exclaimed, gloss forming over her eyes just as he knew would happen. "He tried to send us a message before he died? He trie-"

"I'm sorry Jiah, I didn't want to make you like this," he reached out, arm hanging around her shoulders as he pulled her into his chest, "I don't even know what this means, it might not even be an S-O-S message, it's probably some random code he wanted us to solve in our leisure. He knows we're not smart enough for this."

She sighed, taking the phone in her hand, staring at the seven digits.

"What is it though? It's just seven digits, not even long enough to be a phone number or a date."

"Should we try breaking it down?"

"The eighteenth of the sixth month in 1984?" Jiah suggested, and they both shook their heads.

"Hoseok always wrote the month with two digits."

"I literally can't think of anything else, Jungkook," her voice was beginning to rise, and he heard the frustration.

"Jiah, we'll get there, just breathe, don't bla-"

"Wait," she jumped up suddenly, walking over to their desk where Hoseok's laptop lay, "Did you say 1984?"

"Yeah, the first four digits could be a year but what even happened in 1984-"

"George Orwell," she let out as she continued to turn his laptop on and type his passcode.