36. Following His Heart

"I hate this," he finally mumbled, breaking the silence

"I know and I-"

"No, you don't," he stopped her, "I hate this, not you. I don't hate you, I love you, and I hate that I love you."

Like that, all the colour drained from her face.

"Yeah, I know," he shook his head, "I'm so mad, you have no idea. But I still love you, how the fuck does that work?"

She blinked, before the tears she had been successfully holding back again fell.

"I hate that while you're telling me all this, the only thing I can think about is how hard it must be for you. How hard it must be that you have to live this kind of life, where you can't let anyone in, where you're alone, and you take away people's happiness for a living. That can't be easy! That's what I'm thinking!"

"Taeh-"

"What do I do when everything hurts, including being loved by you?" he slouched into himself, "Including loving you? But you're the only person who ever makes anything better. What do I even fucking do?"

"I'm-"

"And the dumbest thing," he cut her off again, "Is that I am so convinced that you're actually a good-natured person that I'm so mad for hating you. They say you can't hate someone without loving them, well I fucking hate and love you."

It was Jiah's turn now to stay silent. She didn't know what to say either.

"So what now?" he asked, after calming down a little bit, "I mean, are you going to kill me?"

"No," she gasped, "No I would never-"

"So where to now?" this made her look up and into his eyes.

"You decide," she told him, "I can run away, leave you and your company alone, I can stay and just quit my job instead, you can report me and send me to jail, but that wouldn't be the best option because then you-"

"Which option has you stay right by my side?"

Now she was just confused, "What?"

"Jimin told me once," he sighed, "That everyone has their person. Someone who changes your life, the way you act, the way you think, everything you do... and I hate to admit it, but I know that's you."

"What?" she repeated.

"Call me stupid, Jiah, but I truly don't think you're going to hurt me."

He felt so stupid. The words coming out of his mouth weren't following anything his mind was telling him, and that wasn't normal. Taehyung never did anything without his mind's consent. His heart was rarely involved in anything he did or said.

But look at him now.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"You've done so much for me."