18 Couch Surfing

R E A G A N

When I started driving I didn't know where I'd go. Alec's place was out. I could ask his parents if I could stay in the spare room without fear of being turned away. However, I didn't want to stay anywhere near Alec. Pierce was out. That was just too weird, our relationship too new. It would be a huge step. One I wasn't ready for. One he probably wasn't either.

I was friendly with plenty of people. I had no time to hold grudges, but friendly didn't mean I'd have a couch to surf on. I surprised myself as much as I surprised Ella when I asked for a place to stay.

The rain had started again by the time I pulled up her long drive. I grabbed my bag and ran for the door where she waited to open it for me.

She was already dressed in her pajamas which consisted of pink pants and a black tank top. She handed me a towel when I came in.

"Sorry for the intrusion," I said. "I didn't have anywhere else to go. Alec is being a jerk and I'm not comfortable staying over at Pierce's."

Ella took my duffle bag from me. "I can't let you sleep in your car. Besides my dad works late. It'll be nice to have a warm body in the house for a change. About Alec-"

She started, but I stopped her quickly. "Whatever happened is your business. I like hanging out with you. I don't want that to stop just because you broke up with Alec. And you don't have to tell me anything about the breakup and I won't ask."

She looked relieved. "That all sounds good to me."

"So," I said. "I think this is the first time I've been here without a huge party going on."

Ella started to lead me out of the foyer and upstairs. "It's mostly just me and the maid. My dad does try to come home for lunch at least, to spend time with me, but really, you'll have the run of the place."

At the top of the stairs, I had a good view of the living room. Everything was neat and tidy. The couch cushions were all fluffed and in place, no blankets left haphazardly strewn over armrests. The coffee table was free of abandoned glasses and magazines. The remotes were lined up on an end table, but the TV was in a cabinet that was closed. It was like looking down at a furniture showroom. No wonder Ella was always so put together. There was no room in this house for even a hair out of place.

"You'll be in the room next to mine. We'll share a bathroom. If you'd rather have your own, there's another one down the hall."

"I'll be fine. I share a bathroom with my brother and there's no way you're worse than him."

Ella laughed and opened a door and flicked on the lights. The guest room was painted a light purple. The sheets on the bed matched, though the comforter was a dark gray. There was a white dresser, with a free-standing full-length mirror next to it. A TV was mounted on the wall opposite the bed. Overhead the ceiling fan whirred and rustled the gray curtains. The carpet was soft on my bare feet, like walking on a cloud. Ella placed my bag on the bed. She sat next to it.

"Can I ask why you needed a place to stay?"

I screwed my face up in disgust at the memory.

"I shouldn't have asked," she said quickly and stood again.

"No, that face wasn't for you." I bid her to sit again. "My mom and I had a huge fight. She's gearing up for a messy divorce with my dad and she wants me to be wholly on her side and I don't think I can."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that."

I crossed the room and sat beside her. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I wasn't sure how to open up to her about it. We had been friendly at school, but this went way beyond gossip in gym class.