Epilogue

Reagan and Alec walked hand in hand to their spot. She smiled at him, warmth radiating from her. He smiled back, filling her world with joy. Golden light filled the air. It was four years to the day, almost to the hour, that they had buried their time capsule.

"Someone dug it up," Reagan said. The box they'd buried as freshman lay out on a blanket. A picnic basket sat next to it. "I wonder who that was." She lifted an eyebrow at Alec, but the smile never left her face.

"I may have made a small trip out here this morning." Alec winked. "I packed us a little dinner too."

He sat on the blanket, smoothing it out for Reagan to sit next to him. He opened the picnic basket and inside there was a six-pack of cupcakes with gummy worms in the frosting.

"You spoil me."

He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "I know. Shall we?"

Reagan took a cupcake and peeled away the paper wrapper. "After you."

Alec opened the box revealing their treasures. There were two Matchbox cars, one blue and one green for Alec's eyes. There was a pink pony toy with the purple comb stuck in her hair. The plastic box for their shared racing game, miscellaneous buttons they'd won at the Fourth of July carnival that year, and beneath it all, two sealed envelopes. Alec removed them and handed one to Reagan.

"Do you remember what you wrote?" Reagan asked.

"Maybe." And that was all Alec would say.

"I guess I'll read first," Reagan continued. She broke the seal with her finger and cleared her throat, putting her hand to her chest. "'Dear Alec, it is I, your truest and most loyal friend, Reagan. Soon we embark to high school, where you'll undoubtedly be the object of affection for many girls, but you should know, I saw your beauty first. Not just how handsome you are, but the beauty within. You've been nothing but a kind and true friend to me when I needed it most. Your laugh is easy and your smile genuine. I am lucky to have you in my life. Love, Reagan.'" She set the letter in her lap, her cupcake completely forgotten.

Alec said nothing but opened his letter to Reagan. "'Reagan, I love the way the sun shines in your hair. I love your laugh and how it rings out, filling the world with joy. I love every second I spend with you. I love your beauty and your strength. I love you. You are my best friend, the light of my world, the girl I want to see every day. One day I will be worthy of you. Always, Alec.'"

Reagan sat silent for a minute. She felt tears prick her eyes. "You loved me even then?"

"I wanted to kiss you that day, but I was afraid. Afraid to lose you."

She reached across the blanket for his hand. "I know the feeling all too well. I was willing to be your friend only if it meant we were together. I never wanted to end up like my parents."

"You won't. We won't. No matter what happens."

He closed the gap between them, kissing her. The sun cast a golden light around them as the fireflies came out. A warm summer breeze blew against them and he wrapped her in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

He broke the kiss and put his forehead against hers. They stayed wrapped in each other's arms. "I love every second I spend with you," he repeated.

"I love every second I spend with you," she said and kissed his nose.

They turned and watched the sunset from beneath the willow. Its branches swayed in the breeze like it cradled the young lovers, shielding them. Reagan rested her head on Alec's shoulder, murmuring words of love.

 Reagan rested her head on Alec's shoulder, murmuring words of love

Thank you for reading my second completed novel! 🖤

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed this story!