22 Pool Party

A L E C

"You're becoming a Miss Havisham," Helen said as she sauntered into my room.

"Miss who?"

Helen made a clicking noise with her tongue against her teeth. "Did you bother to pay attention in English class? Here let me stop all the clocks for you with the exact hour Reagan left." She sat on my bed crossing her legs under her body.

"Go away, Hel. I'm not in the mood."

"You're never in the mood. Come on, you need to get out. You being shut up in here is turning this into a Rear Window situation. Are you going to buy a telescope or something?"

"Pretty sure he had a high-powered lenses, not a telescope?" I shook my head. "Why am I even arguing with you? Can you just go away?" I asked.

"I just wanted to let you know Ella is having a party tonight."

"And? It's not like she's going to invite me." All ties had been cut with Ella. It was best for both of us.

"Well, I received an invite from Ella directly. I thought you'd want to know since Reagan will be there and she can't lock you out."

"What makes you think I care? It's not like I'm a part of her life anymore."

Helen's eyes rolled so far back into her head I thought they'd tumble out her mouth. "So dramatic. You should at least try to patch things up before you go to school. I thought this would be a nice venue to do it. But fine." She waved her hand in dismissal. "Go ahead and stay here and mope."

She hit me upside the head and left without another word.

Outside the sun lowered in the sky. My room was blanketed in darkness. At first, I just sat in front of my computer, swathed in the burning red of dusk. Eventually, the blue light of the screen hurt my eyes, but I still didn't get up to flick the lights on. I wanted to stay in the darkness. At around ten my curiosity got the better of me. I got onto Instagram and began trolling Reagan's page. No updates. My fingers itched though, and I gave in and went to Pierce's page.

He had put up a few pictures in the last hour or so. All from Ella's poolside. He stood with some other guys who graduated with him, laughing and holding their drinks. He wore his swim shorts and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt. He looked like he was having a good time. I hoped he tripped and fell flat on his handsome face, ruining it. I hit the refresh button and a new picture appeared. Him kissing Reagan.

She laughed through the kiss. I could see the side of her mouth quirked up. Her hands were on his chest like she was playfully pushing him away. He had one arm around her, cupping her butt, the other holding his camera up. Her cheeks were red from blushing. Her eyes closed. She wore a pink tank top and black shorts. Her hair was braided down her back. She looked perfect, except for the asshole with his arm around her.

I smashed my fist down onto my desktop. I wanted to rip out my hair, scream at the top of my lungs. I wanted to run to Reagan. Do it, I thought. What was the worst that could happen? Reagan keeps ignoring me forever? The worst already came to pass. Seeing her kissing Pierce like that drove me up a wall. I grabbed my car keys and left my room for the first time in hours.

~*~*~

I drove to Ella's house on autopilot. I spent the whole ride thinking of what to say to Reagan. It needed to be perfect. She deserved a prince on a white horse who could ride off with her into the sunset. She would have to settle for me in my old Chevy Malibu taking her for ice cream instead. Of course, she would have to dump Pierce first.

Ella's house was alive with activity. At least twenty cars were parked up her long drive. I found a place on the street and walked. I shadowboxed the air as I went. My nerves sparked with electricity. Tension filled my back and shoulders. I needed to stay calm. I didn't want to make a scene. I needed to try to get Reagan alone to talk to her.