thirty

Katsuki was woken up by his alarm at 6:30 AM sharp. He used to wake up a lot earlier, but he had given up on trying to do well in school a long time ago.

He groggily forced himself out of bed and got ready for school. He had stopped eating breakfast on weekdays for over two years now, so he was used to it.

The homework he was doing from yesterday ended up being half-finished. He had half-heartedly given up on his five pages of algebra and moved on to different subjects before attempting to do algebra again and giving up for good. It wasn't as if he didn't know how to, he just wasn't in the mood for it.

If he had to be honest, he wasn't in the mood for anything. He was facing a mid-life crisis before he even reached mid-life.

Katsuki knew that his wolf despised him. He was the weak human and the wolf was the one who was in charge of all his instincts and primal power.

Without his wolf, he would be like a human. An omega, a werewolf without a wolf. The shamed and shunned in the pack. The lowest and weakest due to not having a wolf to protect them.

The benefits of having a wolf was just as deadly itself. The wolf represented the werewolf soul in the purest form. Like all pure things, they could be tainted and become rogue.

All werewolves with a wolf have a slim chance of becoming rogue. Especially the unmated ones.

Soulmates came once in a lifetime. Twice, if you're a lucky lycan. Losing a soulmate could easily drive a wolf insane.

Some packs have added a rule of killing the werewolves who lost their mates to prevent them from going rogue and endangering the rest of the pack. Of course, it's ruthless and looked down upon, but sometimes it's effective. Especially against those in the Alpha bloodline.

Katsuki was at an extremely dangerous point. He just had barely enough control over his wolf to be able to do normal things. He couldn't imagine how much worse it would have to become.

With every day that passed, his wolf became more and more impatient. At times, he would disappear for a week, dimming his usually sharp senses. Other times, Katsuki would actually have to focus to keep his aggressive wolf at bay. Especially during lessons.

Katsuki sighed as he walked to school to face another boring day. He would have to return back home and continue his Alpha training right away.

For the majority of the day, he dreaded going to Alpha training.

Alpha training was brutal, training the mind and soul of the oldest sons in every Alpha family. They worked him to the bone and made sure that everything he did represented a good Alpha figure. It was exhausting to try and be someone he was not.

Katsuki couldn't be the Alpha everyone wanted him to be. It was just the harsh truth he couldn't find the heart to tell.

Katsuki had to hold himself back every single time he saw Eijirou in the hallways due to his wolf. His wolf was abnormally excited everytime he saw Eijirou, and he found it weird.

At this point, he was a hundred percent sure that his wolf knew something that he didn't know. Reading his mind, his wolf scoffed at him.

"You're just too dense for this shit. I'm doing this for the good of both of us."

This time, it was Katsuki's turn to scoff at his wolf, although he tried to make it as lowkey as possible as he was still in class.

He didn't want Yukina-sensei to notice him contacting his wolf in the middle of her lesson. He was pretty much sure that she could detect it from a mile away.

The bell rang and everyone cheered. Katsuki finished up the last question to avoid having more homework. As he finished and started to pack up, Yukina-sensei grabbed him by the wrist and stopped him from leaving.

"We need to talk, Katsuki."

Katsuki scoffed and attempted to shake her off, but to no avail. Yukina's grip on his wrist was firm. Seeing this, Katsuki sighed.

"You can tell me on the weekends, Yukina. I'm kind of busy with the homework that you assigned and I probably will be for the rest of the day," Katsuki responded.

"It's important. If you take one step out of this class, I will immediately report it to your parents. You know how much they care about respecting superiors," Yukina threatened, making Katsuki sigh loudly.

"Fine. Make it quick."

"It's about your mate," Yukina started, making Katsuki stiffen. "By now, you must've noticed how moody your wolf has been. That's because he knows something about your mate that you don't."

Katsuki turned to her in confusion. "The fuck is that supposed to mean?" He asked, earning a smack from Yukina.

"Watch your language!"

Katsuki winced as he nodded, not wanting to be smacked again by the seemingly weak, petit teacher standing in front of him.

"I'm going to say a few things that'll shock you to the core, but your wolf won't be surprised. Just prepare youself."

Katsuki rolled his eyes, getting impatient. "Just say it."

"You know the drug that's been ripping apart mates? You were fed the upgraded version, which made it even more deadly than the original one."

"I was fed what?!" Katsuki yelled, making Yukina slap his mouth shut.

"Shut up!" She scolded quietly, making Katsuki nod.

"The original drug could only trick the human mind, not the wolf. The wolf could remember everything the human couldn't, which created a lot of rogues caused by the human side and wolf side not being able to cooperate. The new one has been shown to be able to temporarily trick the wolf, which causes a whole new list of problems. You're one of the lucky few who has a wolf who regained their senses."

Katsuki looked at Yukina in awe. "How do you know all this?"

"Every pack sends a member to the organization who makes the drug to send information back and forth. No matter how many conflicts each pack has, they are united in this situation. They only use wolves who have experienced the drug first-hand and survived with all their senses in tact. I'm one of them, which makes me a spy," Yukina revealed, watching as Katsuki slowly pieced everything together.

"Then how does a wolf regain their senses?" Katsuki asked, curious and slightly pissed at the revelation.

"We haven't figured out a definite answer, but we assume it's due to repeated interaction with their original mates. Those who met their mates before the use of their drug usually had their wolves recognize them after a few years and attempt to seal the matebond."

Katsuki could literally feel his wolf agreeing to everything Yukina just said, confirmimg that everything she said was true.

"To meet your mate, just trust your wolf. Keep him under check, but don't force him to stay under wraps," Yukina recommended, making Katsuki hesitate. After having his wolf going feral so many times, he was starting to lose his trust in his wolf.

Eventually, he came up with a decision. A decision that could change his entire perspective on life.

"Alright."