seventeen

"911, what's your emergency?" A woman's voice answered the call. Katsuki almost couldn't find the words to say from being so panicked. "Uh, one of my friends might've overdosed on sleeping pills at my place. Can you send some people over?" Katsuki said, stumbling on his words just a bit.

"Alright, we'll get there as soon as we can. Can you tell us your address?" The woman asked. Katsuki quickly told her his address and then hung up the call. He carried Eijirou to his room and gently placed him on his bed. He looked through Eijirou's bag until he found his phone.

From there, he looked into the contacts until he found one that was labelled 'Mom.' He called that number and waited for Eijirou's mother to pick up. He was met with a sweet, gentle voice. "Eijirou, where are you? It's already dinnertime!" She asked, worry laced into her voice.

Katsuki felt bad about telling her the news, but he felt that she deserved to know. "I'm sorry, but this is Katsuki. Eijirou's going to be rushed to the hospital as soon as the paramedics get here. He's overdosed on sleeping pills. If possible, I'd like you to meet us at the hospital." He informed softly. He didn't have any of his usual aggression in his voice.

"What?" She asked in disbelief. Katsuki heard as she tried to hold back her sobs. "Alright, just give me a minute. I'll meet you there as soon as I can." She managed to say, making Katsuki feel even more guilty. It was his fault that Eijirou ended up like this, even though he didn't particularly know why because Eijirou refused to tell him.

"I'll meet you there. Don't worry, I'll make sure Eijirou doesn't die." Katsuki vowed, hanging up soon after. Soon, he heard the sound of sirens outside his door. He heard his mother open the doors urgently and hearing her shocked gasp when she found out that Eijirou had attempted suicide.

He watched as the paramedics rushed into his room and carried Eijirou on a stretcher to take him to the hospital. He saw everything. He watched as they told him to go along with Eijirou. To support him. He stepped into the ambulance with the paramedics, grabbing Eijirou's cold hand and gripping it tightly. He internally prayed that Eijirou would survive.

When Eijirou got to the hospital, the doctors managed to get all the chemicals out of his body and his condition became stable again. Eijirou slept peacefully in his room in the hospital while Katsuki stood outside. Soon, he saw his mother running towards Eijirou's room.

"Is my son okay?" She asked in a shaky voice, as if she was going to break down any moment now. Katsuki just simply pointed to the door. "Go ahead." She thanked him before stepping inside, rushing to his son's side. Her sobs made his guilt unbearable. He texted Denki about Eijirou's condition. He knew that Denki would kill him, but he didn't care. He wanted Denki to tell the others.

Within half an hour, Denki, Mina and Hanta all arrived at the hospital and met Katsuki outside of Eijirou's room. Hanta grabbed Katsuki by the neck in an attempt to choke him. "This is all because of you! If you didn't force yourself onto him when he was so broken, he wouldn't have done this to himself!" He yelled inbetween tears.

Hanta let him go, making him gasp for air. Mina went up to slap him in the face. The slap stung, but it was nothing compared to seeing Eijirou's seemingly lifeless body on the floor of his bathroom. "That slap was for Eijirou. Don't ever come near him again. You've done enough damage." She hissed at him.

At last, it was Denki's turn to say something. He expected a punch in the face, but all he got was a pat on the shoulder. "This isn't your fault, Katsuki. You didn't know that this would happen." Denki turned to the other two, who were shocked at what he said. "Instead of blaming Katsuki, shouldn't we be praying that Eijirou would survive? If you really need someone to blame, you have Ochako."

"You say that, but it really is my fault. I reminded him of his mate. The one he lost and wanted to move on from. I knew, yet I kept pursuing him. I had Ochako, but I still persistently pursued him. The more I think about it, the more guilty I feel. Don't bother blaming Ochako, just blame me. Let me drown in my guilt." Katsuki choked, tears running down his face.

Denki pulled Katsuki away from Hanta and Mina before any more blame was put onto him. He led him outside of the hospital and into the mini garden they had outside. There, Denki had him promise something to him. "I'm going to tell you something about Eijirou, but you have to promise that you won't tell anyone. Not even Eijirou."

Katsuki spent a moment thinking before he answered. "Alright. I promise." Denki sighed in relief before telling Katsuki everything he knew about Eijirou and his mate. Eijirou had briefly told him a bit about their relationship before, but nothing else. Everyone knew how their bond broke. It was just common knowledge in the pack.

Denki started with how they met, telling Katsuki what he observed back when Eijirou didn't befriend him yet. "Before I befriended him, Eijirou used to cling onto you a lot. He considered you as his best friend for the first week until he found out that the two of you were soulmates. From there, he got more affectionate. Eventually, he would be the only one that could actually control your anger."

Katsuki's eyes widened with shock. "Eijirou is my true soulmate?" He gasped, almost yelling. "Yeah, he is. That's why he acted so cold to you when you first joined our group. He told me how he realized his feelings for you just as Ochako drugged you. For weeks, the regret of not telling you sooner clung onto him like a leech." Denki explained, causing Katsuki's shock to grow even larger.

"Why didn't he tell me?" Katsuki asked quietly. By then, tears were rolling down his face. "He wanted you to be happy with Ochako. He told me that he was willing to sacrifice his happiness if it meant that you would be free of the guilt that would weigh you down if you knew. He always said that your happiness would be enough for him, which is stupid. It was clear that he was never truly happy after the bond between the two of you broke."

"Did he really love me that much? Did he really go that far for me?" Katsuki choked. His legs weakened and he dropped onto his knees. "He did. He loved you unconditionally even though you didn't feel the same way. There were times that he just wanted to kill himself, but he always told me that he would get through it by thinking about you. I guess that he couldn't take it anymore."

Katsuki sobbed. He sobbed harder than he did when his favourite toy as a child went missing, although the pain of losing his toy was nothing compared to losing Eijirou. "Thanks for telling me." He said inbetween sobs before he went back inside the hospital, leaving Denki alone outside. "I wish you luck, Katsuki."

Katsuki went back inside the hospital and rushed outside of Eijirou's room. He built up the confidence to step inside. When he did, he was met with glares from Mina and Hanta. Before they could do anything to him, they were silenced by Eijirou's mother. "Let him spend some time with Eijirou. It isn't his fault. You two can come back tomorrow. Let's give him some privacy." She ordered, pulling the two of them outside.

Katsuki internally thanked her before he sat beside Eijirou. He kissed the top of Eijirou's head hesitantly. When he did, he felt sparks go down his entire body. He's never felt that way towards Ochako, but that made sense considering that Ochako wasn't even his mate. He held Eijirou's hand gently, bringing his hand to his lips and kissing it lightly.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner, Eijirou?"