Poirot

The flood of texts and phone calls came shortly after I stepped out of the shower. Ryan stood next to me as our phones blew up while we got dressed, but it was the doorbell ringing that caused us to go back downstairs. 

My mother waited in the foyer for us to come down the stairs and she looks up as she asks, "I don't know who that could be so I figured Ryan could answer it." 

Ryan nods, "Tell Celia not to answer the door to anyone today. I can do that." My mother agrees and Ryan goes to look out the peephole. He looks back at me and says, "It's Gus." I give him the go-ahead to open the door and Gus doesn't even wait for the door to be fully opened before barging inside. I can tell he slightly dressed up for the courthouse because he's in a decent cotton button-up and jeans.

"Austin said I could find you here," Gus tells us as he crosses the space and pulls me into him. After rocking me back and forth he suddenly pushes me backward while gripping my shoulders, "Shit. Did I just hurt you? How fragile are you at the moment?"

"I haven't determined that yet," I tell him. Ryan is still lingering behind him but Gus's focus is on me. 

"Austin told me...well, I was real worried when you didn't show up this mornin'..." Gus starts but I don't know what Austin all told him. "You see he thought I knew that you were...Sawyer darlin' I am so sorry." He pulls me back into him but I still don't know what he is sorry for. I feel my phone still buzzing like crazy in my pocket and I don't know what happened at the arraignment yet. While being squeezed against Gus's broad chest I squeak out, "Thanks, Gus." He then releases me as he says, "I understand if you don't want to come to Kingsley's baptism next weekend if it's ya know...way too much for you right now." I then become confused because I wasn't even aware that his baptism was scheduled already. He catches it immediately because he adds, "A.B did send you the information right? You are his godmother."

I shake my head, "No, must have slipped her mind." I watch Gus bite back something nasty and I quickly add, "But this shit with Rory isn't going to stop me from being there. I'll be fine."

I then catch Gus's confusion and he says, "Rory? No, I was afraid you weren't ready to like, hold a baby yet." He watches as I realize what he's getting at. "Sorry, Austin said not too many people knew you were even pregnant but...he thought I knew so he told me what happened yesterday, because like I said, I was worried when you didn't show up."

I nod, "Oh, yeah...we were kinda waiting to tell people until it was like..." I shake my head and the tears come back. I can't finish the sentence and Gus braces himself. Ryan comes over to grab my hand but I manage to swallow the outburst down. Only a few tears escape and Gus uses the sleeve of his button-down to wipe them away. 

"Shit Sawyer, you're going to have me blubberin' if you do that again," Gus says softly and I shake away my sadness. 

"What happened with Rory?" I ask him, eager to get away from any miscarriage talk. 

"Do you want coffee?" Ryan then offers Gus. He nods and we all go back into the kitchen. Celia greets Gus and then insists on making us a fresh pot. She then shoo's us onto the patio and we all take a seat at the wicker picnic table. Celia comes and drops a basket of fresh muffins onto the table and Gus reaches for one as he says, "Everyone was there this mornin'. It was standin' room only but I got there early and Austin got me a spot with him and Margot."

"How was Molly?" I ask and in between stuffing his face with an apple cinnamon muffin replies, "Scared shitless. She didn't know why you weren't there and was panicking."

"Austin didn't tell her?" Ryan asks and Gus shrugs, "I don't know what all Molly knows. She stayed close to her mom and Margot while I talked to Austin and Jackson."