Real

When I arrive back at Austin's with a garment bag in hand, I find Ryan in the kitchen putting dishes away. I drop the long black bag onto the wooden stool and Ryan looks at me when it lands with a thud. 

"You back already?" He asks me and then glances to the clock above the stove. He then smirks and I reply, "Yep, was only at my mother's for a quick three hours."

"Were you really expecting it to be a quick pit stop?" He asks while closing the cabinet that hides their collection of white dinner plates. 

"No, well I had hoped but..." I say as I reach for a banana hanging on top of the wire fruit bowl Margot leaves on their breakfast bar. Ryan places his hands on the counter as he turns and faces me. He leans against it as I add, "She's definitely in wedding planner mode. I put in my request for no stinky flowers and to be involved in the cake tasting."

"That's all you want a say in? You are really letting your mother make all the decisions?" He skeptically asks. 

"Yeah, like I said before, I am kind of indifferent about this wedding. I feel like I've started the marriage and am now ready to focus on the baby and the house." Ryan nods and pushes himself off the counter to come and sit on the stool next to me. I feel like since we've gotten back to Hollis we've been back to leading our own lives. We didn't get to stay still in the honeymoon phase very long, so it's nice to have the house to ourselves. He spins me so our knees are touching and then puts his forehead to mine. 

"I feel like all I can think about lately is the baby. I'm so worried about stressing you out and after the brick incident..."

I give a slight nod, "I'm not going to lie to you. That freaked me out a bit too." He pulls his head back and grabs my hands, "I feel like every time I try and protect you from someone or something I fail. And now with you and the baby to think about, I don't know if I'll ever feel at ease again."

"I've been worried about you spinning out. I'm shocked you're letting me sit in on the pageant with Dot there," I confess. 

"Well, both Austin and I will be there, fully visible. If I thought Dot was dangerous I would never allow it. But from what Austin says, there are going to be hundreds of people there and you will be on stage in front of everyone the entire time. The Cunninghams may be dirty, but they aren't stupid." He flits his eyes away from me and shakes his head. He then sighs and adds, "I can't turn off the F.B.I agent. It's killing me not being on the inside anymore, just letting someone else take the lead and hope they aren't complete idiots."

"Austin is still the lead though right? And if Margot is also going, he won't allow for any screw-ups. I trust Austin to handle the pageant," I tell Ryan, even though I am still convincing myself that nothing will happen on Saturday. 

Ryan nods, "I know, I do too. It's just weird being a consultant and not living, breathing, and sleeping Rory's case anymore." 

"Have you started thinking any more about your P.I business? Or is that on the back burner due to your baby and Rory?" I watch a tiny smirk play on Ryan's lips and he looks up from our hands. I watch him hesitate before he says, "I actually do have a client at the moment."

I cannot give away that I know it's LulaBelle, so I act surprised and reply, "Oh wow, already?"

"Turns out Georgina is decent at marketing." I let out a laugh and ask, "Oh really? So is that all I get to know?"

He quickly nods, "Yes Sawyer. And I specifically told my client that everything will be kept secret and respecting a person's privacy is extremely important to me." He stares at me, demanding that I understand what he's saying and then I let out another laugh, "Okay okay! I won't ask any more questions. I am just glad you have something to think about other than my safety."