Statements

Butterflies swarmed my stomach as I sat in the passenger side of Ryan's truck. I stared out of the windshield as he pulled into the posh office building's parking lot and knew my money was going to help keep Veronica Herring's name painted on the glass door. 

After Ryan parks, he looks to me and says, "This should be the easy part. She's just going to have you go over everything again to make sure there are no holes in your statement. She's one of the best prosecutors in Mississippi so you're in good hands. She wants this conviction." I nod to him and he leans over to give me a reassuring kiss. I push my door open and he holds my hand while we walk inside. Veronica's office is even more swanky inside and it's almost jarring to see a colorful modern office in Oxford. Her assistant guides us into a small conference room off to the side of the entrance where the windows face the back of the building. I look to Ryan as I settle into the comfortable leather chair and say, "The lack of sunlight in here feels ominous. We went from bright and optimistic to the room of doom back here."

"Stay positive Sawyer. She's here to help us remember?" Ryan reminds me, but I still hate everything about this whole case. I don't even want to relive it with a lawyer in a small room let alone in a courthouse where all of Hollis can listen in. I nod to him but my leg continues to bounce up and down from anxiety. Finally, a fierce, raven-haired woman comes barreling in and I understand why she's a prosecutor. Her bold red tailored suit has my eyes glued to her and her large blue eyes feel like they can devour my soul. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Hart, I'm Veronica Herring it's so nice to finally meet you," she states as she holds out a freshly lacquered hand to us. We drop back into our seats and Veronica opens a folder she had tucked under her arm out on the table, "So you formally pressed charges against Roderick Cunningham correct? I think I have the initial police report here," she says as her eyes scan the pages. She flips through them and then looks back to me, "May I ask why you originally spoke with the police on January 1st, but are just now pressing charges?"

I nod, "I wanted to file sexual assault and battery charges on the 1st, but I found out that Rory had planned to file assault charges on Ryan if I had done so."

"So he's been manipulating you since January into keeping quiet," she notes before flicking her piercing gaze to Ryan, "Mr. Hart, I understand you were a federal agent up until a month ago and had remained connected to Rory's case for the past two years."

"Yes, I started making connections when I was in South Carolina and was instructed to stay on the case after moving here to Hollis last September."

"Okay, well in that case, would you mind if I took this statement from Sawyer alone? So that way, you can't sway her on her answers or memories?" Veronica asks me and I'm stunned by her remark. 

"Oh, I would never lie because Ryan is attached-" I start but Ryan cuts me off, "I understand. The last thing we need is for someone to cry collusion."

Veronica nods and then shuffles her papers back into the file folder. Ryan looks at me and says, "I want to hold your hand through this, but I don't want my involvement to backfire either." I stare into his anxious green eyes and know I have to do this alone. I nod to him after taking a deep breath in. He swipes my cheek with his thumb and says, "I'll be in the hallway. If at any time you need me, come and get me okay? I'll be right outside this door." I watch as he pushes himself out of the chair and he glances to me one last time before pulling the door open. After the door is shut behind him, Veronica looks back at me and says, "Now Sawyer, I am going to try and clear up any confusion and may ask for clarification over some of the things you have here in your statement. Your case is a bit different than Molly's because you have video and audio evidence of the night in question. However, you've been used as an asset in a previous F.B.I case led by Special Agent Hart and your brother correct?"