Surprise

Just seeing Gus's dark 2-story off the dirt road felt like a warm hug. I saw both his truck and Annabeth's car in the driveway and I practically leaped out of the truck as Ryan rolled to a stop. I quickly shot up the sagging wooden steps but right before I whipped the flimsy screen door open I thought better of myself. I can't just assume Gus and Annabeth are up for company. I drop my hand from the screen door and move my finger over to the doorbell. By the time I hear the chimes ringing throughout the house, Ryan is next to me. 

"I'm assuming I'm allowed to come in this time?" Ryan mutters and I shoot him a look that says drop it. Moments later, the red front door is being pulled open and I see Gus's eyes widen as he says, "Well kick me in the nards and call me shooter!" He kicks the screen door open and yanks me into a tight bear hug. He catches Ryan behind me and says, "I thought I'd seen the lasta you at the stag party."

"Hiya Gus," Ryan says as Gus releases me. We watch as Gus puts his hands on his hips and says, "I'm thinking y'all got some explanin' to do and I'm sure the baby mama will wanna hear this." He nods for us to follow in behind him and I release a long sigh. I glance to Ryan and he says, "This is the second out of four million times you're going to have to tell this story. Best get used to it."

As we walk into Gus's house I reply, "Maybe I'll take out a page in the Herald so the town can just read about it." Ryan shakes his head and I hear Gus up ahead of us, "Hey A.B. we got visitors! You're gonna be shocked." Ryan and I round into the living room and Annabeth is propped up on the couch with her massive pregnant belly resting under her hands. Her feet are on pillows that are stacked up on the coffee table and when she sees me she says, "I want to give you a hug but I'm afraid standing up is way more effort than I am willing to give right now." 

"You're ready to pop!" I tell her as my eyes land on her belly but her eyes are to Ryan. I watch as he stuffs his nervous hands into his pockets as Annabeth says, "I knew you were going to come back with souvenirs I just didn't think Ryan would fit into your carry-on." Her questioning eyes find mine and I can tell her and Gus don't know what to think. 

"Good to see ya A.B.," Ryan says but I can't tell if the sincerity is there.

"Sit sit! Sounds like it's story time," Gus tells us as he drops into his recliner and waves his hand over to his loveseat. Gus's house used to be my safe haven but for some reason, I feel awkward sitting on his sofa while Annabeth and Gus's minds are on overload. Ryan sits next to me and my right hand strategically covers my left as I place them on my knee. 

"So how was England?" Annabeth taunts in a sing-song voice. I notice her face has gotten rounder from the pregnancy and her feet in the air show off her swollen ankles and toes. I wonder how the last month of her pregnancy has been. 

"It was uh-" I start before glancing to Ryan. He looks to me and he gives me the go-ahead to say whatever I need to say. "Disappointing. Turns out Bash was getting into business with Rory- who I saw by the way- and he had a little drug problem that came back when he got around his old buddies."

"Bash did?" Gus asks in shock and I nod. 

"Yeah, I was a bit overwhelmed in England. I got in over my head thinking I was ready for the lifestyle the Crawfords were used to. Bash wasn't ready to be domesticated either so we kinda went our separate ways."

"Which then led you to Ryan here?" Annabeth asks and I nod. 

"Ryan got shot last month-" I start but Gus's "With a gun?" interrupts me. 

"Drug bust gone bad," Ryan answers as he rubs the tender spot on his chest and I continue, "I flew to New York when Austin told me what had happened. I've been there since." I watch confusion flicker across A.B's face as she puts it together, "You mean, you were in New York for a month? You've been stateside for a month?" Her tone gives away her annoyance and I had worried she was gonna be pissed when she found out I've had cell service for a month now. 

"Yeah, I was helping Ryan recover in the city," I reply and I don't miss the nasty look that covers her face for a split second. 

"And you left your phone in England?" She asks sarcastically. 

I shake my head, "No, I just...I"

"Wanna beer?" Gus quickly asks Ryan and they both pop up out of their chairs quickly. I watch as they stride off toward the kitchen, avoiding any girl drama that is about to happen. 

"Look Annabeth, I'm sorry I've been M.I.A I've just been trying to figure out this Ryan thing that happened so quickly. I haven't been ready to talk to anyone about it." I try to explain. 

"While your best friend is at home, about to give birth to your godchild?" She snaps. 

"I figured you or Gus would have let me know if you went into labor. I would have been home before you even finished dilating," I tell her. "Austin told me Ryan got shot and I got to him in a matter of hours, nothing would have stopped me from getting to you." As I was talking I waved my hands in the air, talking animatedly and I watched as A.B's eyes landed on my left hand when it settled back onto my knee. 

"What's that?" She asks in shock, her eyes glued to my ring finger. "You can't possibly be engaged already?"

I lower my eyes to my ring and release a sigh. I look back to her and reply, "Ryan and I aren't engaged. We're married." I watch her thin pink lips snap shut and she doesn't say anything as she stares at me. Her hazel eyes aren't giving away her thoughts on the matter and her slumped posture tells me nothing either. We sit, staring at each other and her unreadable gaze has my heart pounding. Suddenly she yells, "Gus!" He comes into the living room with a beer in his hand and she says, "Pop some champagne, apparently, congratulations are in order." She says it without a hint of enthusiasm. Gus looks from her to me and then asks, "What?"

"She and Ryan got married. In New York," she explains and Gus's reaction is the exact opposite of Annabeth's. As he throws his arms wide his beer spills all over the wood floor and he yells, "Holy shit! Congrats!" He comes over to me while Ryan comes out from hiding. Gus pulls me into a massive hug and rocks me side to side and I can't help but laugh. He turns around and shakes Ryan's hand, "So you're the one that finally got Sawyer settled huh?"

"Almost dying put some things into perspective. It was time we both settled down," Ryan answers but Annabeth remains glaring at us on the couch. She's pissed, but I didn't think she'd be so callous over the news. 

"Well congratulations you two! I'm happy it worked out for y'all," Gus says while slapping Ryan's shoulder. 

"So happy," Annabeth repeats but the smile she gives me makes my stomach flip. 

"So are y'all back in Hollis for good then?" Gus asks and I nod, "We are. We are staying at Austin's until we find a house. We stopped off here on the way there." 

"Does mama Sweeney know about the elopement?" Gus hesitantly asks and Ryan and I glance to each other. I nod and Gus adds, "From y'alls looks I'm thinkin' she wasn't too thrilled then?"

"She was not," Ryan answers and this time, Annabeth's smile is genuine. 

"Well don't let us keep you from your brother. I'm sure he'll be eager to hear the news," Annabeth says, dismissing us from her living room. 

"Oh, luckily that's one less story we have to tell," Ryan starts. "Austin was there at the courthouse with us." 

"Austin knew about y'all?" Gus asks and I nod. He then looks to Ryan and says, "You might be needin' to get him into Witness Protection once Delilah finds out."

"She now knows about that too," I tell him and Gus does the sign of the cross before saying, "I'll pray for both a y'all. I'm guessin' you're in serious shit now." I glance at Annabeth and reply, "You have no idea."