Rat

"Dot better be able to get rid of them," Kit mutters as he pushes me into a corner. He pulls his phone out of his pocket and whispers, "Fuck." He flits his eyes to me and I angle myself away from him. I quickly try to see how tight my binds are but as I try and pull my hands apart, the plastic just digs deeper into my skin. 

"Apparently I need to go make an appearance. This is private property and your boys don't have a warrant." Kit tells me, like he just found a loophole. But if I give them a reason to do an emergency search, they won't need one. I just don't know how far the Suburban is from this corner of the garage. Could they even hear me if I made any kind of noise? Ryan isn't an agent anymore, so he has no reason to follow the rules, but I don't see Austin allowing him to run into anything blind. He pulls another zip tie from his pocket and loops it through the one binding my hands together. He pushes me against an exposed pipe and secures the tie so I am chained to it. 

"This can be easy Sawyer, don't make it hard," he says with a snarl before turning away and shutting me into a pitch-black room. I hear something sliding around in front of the door, and my guess is that Kit just blocked that door. I have no idea what's around me and I can't see more than a couple inches in front of me. I have no escape plan and I can't get my arms in front of me this time. I can only wait in the dark for either Ryan or Kit to come busting through one of the two doors. 

I don't hear voices, cars or any activity around me. It's just my heavy breathing filling the small room. My adrenaline is helping to shield me from any real pain I might be in, but I am more worried about how this can affect a baby. I don't know what their plan for me is because there is no way they'll keep me silent. Sebastian said the Cunninghams have large closets full of skeletons, but I don't know if he meant literally. The Carmichaels had no intention of killing me but this is a different family, one who can uproot and move to a different country with ease. 

I don't know how long I am in the dark room for but after a while, I hear voices. I stop breathing to see if I can pick out whose it is, but my heart sinks when I hear the accent. I hear something heavy sliding across the floor and seconds later the door whips open. 

"Turns out a hunch isn't probable cause, but I know they'll be back," Kit tells me and I can feel the tears again. Was Ryan literally here and couldn't get inside? I feel Kit find my shoulder and then he shines a light onto my hands and the pole. 

"I'm deciding the best way to get information out of you and I think you were most vulnerable bent over," Kit states, before cutting the zip tie around the pole. He pulls me away from the pole by my tank and leads me out of the room. The bright lights momentarily blind me but I hear Dot snap, "You're going to get her DNA all over if you keep dragging her around the garage. One hair and it's all over for us. Don't you watch those shows?"

"They have no proof she was ever here," he mutters as he drags me back over to the desk. He slams me back over the top and the feeling brings me back to New Year's Eve. This cannot be happening again. 

"Where is the drive Sawyer," Kit asks again, before yanking the scarf off my face. I try, through my tears to find anything to use as a weapon but it's just a solid, blank desk with Kit's full body weight on top of me. 

"I don't know Kit," I cry out but he just pulls my hair harder. 

"Does the F.B.I know about our grow business here?" Kit asks and that question throws me off. 

I stumble over my words as I try and get out a response, "I don't...they might...I don't know. Ryan never said anything about your grow business."

"Then what do they have on Rory?"

"They know he brings in shit from Asia," I cry out and I can talk about Rory all day. This is what's going to come out in court tomorrow anyway. 

"Who took the drive from us, Sawyer?" Kit tries again and I hear Dot make her way back over to us. 

"Who betrayed us?" She asks and I realize they are trying to figure out who the rat is. Who in their inner circle betrayed them is what they really want to know. 

"I don't know, I promise I don't know. I already told you that we need that tape as much as you do. So it fucked us when it went missing too," I plead out, trying my best to keep Sebastian out of this. If it weren't for him, Ryan would have never insisted on having me tracked at all times. 

"Oh that's right. We're back to the rape rubbish again," Kit says and then looks to Dot. "Get your phone out. We'll make a video that's much more interesting to watch than Rory's. Then the rat will see what's comin' to 'em." His hands suddenly leave my hair and I feel them behind me. Dot even looks horrified for a moment as she slowly reaches for her phone.

"What are you doin' Kit?" She asks and I hear a zipper. I go to lift my head but he quickly slams it back down. 

"What are you doing to my wife Kit?" I suddenly hear and my entire body goes limp at the sound of Ryan's voice. Kit takes one step back from me but Ryan never gives him the opportunity to answer. I hear the shot one second before feeling the blood splatter against my back. I don't look behind me. All I see is Ryan with a gun raised and it takes Dot a second to register what just happened. She instantly fills the wide room with an ear-splitting scream as Kit falls to the floor. I step around his brown boot and then sprint over to Ryan. When I reach him, he quickly slices my zip-ties off but he doesn't stop to coddle me or check me over. He grips my arm and I understand we need to get out. 

"I didn't kill him, I just gave us a head start," Ryan tells me, as he leads me around the antique Ford toward the open side door. I can still hear Dot screaming and Kit cries out in agony. 

"I thought you left," I tell him as we continue to dash out of the massive garage and he doesn't look to me when he says, "I just needed to distract them long enough to figure out where you were. Austin is waiting for us." 

"I'm guessing you aren't here with the F.B.I?" I ask as I wonder why we need to be running. 

"They needed a warrant, I didn't," Ryan tells me as we finally make it outside. The light blinds me but Ryan never lets me stop moving. I can't tell where we are, all I see is the white metal building being used as a garage and another smaller metal shack behind it. 

"Where the hell am I?" I ask Ryan as we continue to sprint toward the chain link fence. I see there is only one entrance for a car to get inside the property line down to the right but we are headed off to the side that leads us into the woods. When we reach the fence, a large pair of wire clippers are discarded next to a slit in the metal chain link. 

"I am so glad we had been surveilling this place and knew the parameter," Ryan tells me as he pulls the chain back so I can slip through. He wiggles through after me and his hands are quickly back on my arm, guiding me into the trees. 

I see my mother's white Mercedes parked off in the distance but I don't see Austin. 

"Where is my brother?" I ask him while gasping for breath. I haven't ran this long in years and I am struggling to breathe.

"He had to leave with the other officers. They don't know I was going in after you," Ryan tells me and they must have forgotten how bullheaded Ryan could be if they thought he would wait for them to get the proper paperwork. 

"Austin didn't try and stop you?" I ask but he just lets out a scoff. 

"Who do you think got me the wire cutters?" He replies when he finally gets to the car. He quickly guides me into the passenger seat but wastes no time getting to the driver's side. 

"Get me the fuck away from here," I tell him as he slams the gear into drive.