Plans

I'm happy. I'm beyond happy. I'm the happy that other people see and gag at. Especially New Yorkers.

Our courthouse wedding was perfect. Just Ryan, Austin, and I celebrating our moment, and I loved that there was no drama. I walked into that crowded, noisy courthouse in a black ball gown and no one batted an eye. 

After the celebratory dinner, Austin left back to Hollis to go be with his new bride and Ryan asked how I wanted to spend our 'honeymoon' phase. We chose to spend it in the city since I had never been and he was still recovering from being shot- I wasn't ready for him to board a plane to anywhere just yet. We spent two weeks making up for lost time and it was as if we hadn't just been on an emotional roller coaster for months. We fell right back in step and this time, nothing was standing in our way.

He had officially left the F.B.I but had no real ties to New York. And even though I had my winery waiting for me, I was in no hurry to get back to my life in Hollis.

We decided to keep our nuptials a secret. Let us enjoy the bliss before I went back home and blew my mother's mind apart. She thinks I am in Waterford, England with Sebastian Crawford, so she's in for a real treat when I show up in Hollis with an engagement ring on my finger from Ryan Hart.

We decided we should find a house before we move out there because I'm pretty sure my mother will chuck me on my ass when she finds out what I have been up to these past two weeks.

"There's a three-bedroom house near the town center that just went up," Ryan says while sprawled out on his couch, the laptop resting on his lap. I cross the tiny studio in three steps and look over his shoulder.

"I know right where that is. I looked at a condo right there a few months ago," I tell my new husband while we swipe through the pictures.

"It's in our price range but there's no land. Maybelle would have to stay with your mama," Ryan adds while our gaze is on the screen.

I sigh, "I don't think I'm going to get property with our budget. I'm thinking this is going to be our starter house but not our forever home."

"Well if that's the case,  should we just rent? And wait until we can afford the house you really want?" Ryan asks, finally looking at me.

"I guess. We'll only have to wait until after our real wedding to get my trust fund so yeah, maybe renting is best and then the sky's the limit," I tell him with a wink. He glances at me and I wonder if he's finally going to ask me about my trust fund. He's never asked how much I'll be getting once I am married. I'm afraid in his fragile condition that I'll kill him when I tell him.

I can tell he wants to know by the look he's giving me, but he won't ask. He closes the laptop and then asks, "Did you file our marriage certificate?"

I nod, "Of course! Why?"

"I just realized...will that have triggered your trust fund?" He asks and I stare at him. I don't have an answer, I have never thought about it. I suddenly get hot all over and wonder if my trust fund has indeed been given to me. Austin made it seem like it was automatic. On his 28th birthday, he woke up to millions in his name and after Tilly died, he got the final installment days after her death.

"I think I should call our family lawyer. He'll know what to do," I tell him and he looks at me like I should definitely do that right this minute. I turn around, yank my phone off the counter and find his number. It's Tuesday, 1:26 Mississippi time so he should be in his office.

"Millard and Crump," The secretary answers and she quickly puts me through to Horace Crump.

"Now is this Delilah or Sawyer?" Horace answers, with his jolly southern twang.

"Hi, Mr. Crump. It's Sawyer Sweeney here," I answer and quickly put him on speaker phone so Ryan can hear.

"What can I do for you?" He asks curtly, he's polite but no chatty Kathy.

"I was wondering if you could tell me the terms of my trust in a little more detail?" I ask him. "I am aware that I will receive it when I marry or when I turn 35, whichever comes first."

"Yes, and we have received your change in marital status so once we receive your account information, we can transfer both what Delilah set up and what your Grandmother Matilda left for you. They were set up with the same terms," he informs me and I glance at Ryan. I inhale deeply before asking, "You said you were aware that I'm now married. Has my mother been informed that I am now eligible to receive my trust?"

"Of course, we wouldn't transfer that substantial of an amount without her knowing. Although, we assumed she would be well aware of your nuptials," he says, like it's obvious that my mother would have attended my wedding. Ryan's eyes widen and I want to start hyperventilating.

"Does she know where my marriage certificate was filed? Does she know it was filed in New York City?" I ask. I don't know why I am asking him, but I'm hoping he'll have answers.

"Uh, well I can't be too sure on that Mrs. Sweeney. We are just notified of your change in marital status and then proceed with the paperwork. I mail her a notice of the transfer of funds and that's that. I didn't speak to her personally," he informs me and I wonder when that letter was sent. "Now if you'd like to give me your account information, you have a nice sum ready to be transferred. An amount this size will take a few days, possibly over a week until funds can be made available." I look to Ryan and wonder if I should ask how much. I wonder if he wants me to ask how much or if he'd rather not know. I don't even know the full terms of my trust or the exact amount.

"I can give you the account information if you're ready," I tell him and quickly give him my bank account details with the routing number. Without having to ask he adds, "Now would you like me to mail you a copy of the conditions that go along with your trust? Your grandmother had some clauses and stipulations." Suddenly he pauses and then says, "Oh you know what Sawyer, I'm glad I have you on the phone because I just realized a term of your trust is having a prenuptial agreement signed. If you had that done in New York, we just need a copy of it before I can move forward."

I freeze and Ryan pushes himself off the couch. I hadn't realized that was written into my trust. Although I should have known because Mama told me all wealthy families have one in place so Annabeth shouldn't have been offended when the Blackwoods wanted one from her.

"I didn't have my spouse sign a prenup," I confess. "I wasn't aware one was needed."

"You can still go ahead with a postnuptial agreement and that will suffice. Why don't you meet me in my office and we can go over everything together," he offers and I look at Ryan.

"I'm actually in New York," I tell Horace and Ryan is now pacing over by the bed. "But I'll be back in the next week or so. I'll make an appointment as soon as I'm back in Hollis."

"Sounds good Mrs. Sweeney, we'll chat then," he replies and we hang up. I toss my phone to the end of the couch and Ryan stops pacing. He looks at me with worry splashed across his handsome face and asks, "So your mama knows we are married."

I look at him, equally freaking out, and reply, "She knows I am married. But from the sounds of it, she doesn't know to who."

"Who else would you be married to?" He snaps like I didn't just have a different boyfriend three weeks ago.

"Ryan, my mama thinks I am in England. She might think I got hitched to Sebastian."