Kingsley

Augustus Roland Kingsley Blackwood II was born to two crying parents, four elated grandparents and two cautious friends, wondering when/if they were going to be thrown out of the cramped hospital room. 

I look over to Annabeth, whose eyes are locked on her pink cheeked bundle and catch the frog in my throat- knowing that that will be me in a few months. My heart swells as I see the love pouring out of Annabeth and she suddenly flits her eyes to me.

"Do I look like a mom?" She asks me, and I hear her throat catch. I feel tears prick my eyes and nod back to her.

"He looks like me don't he?" Gus elatedly asks and the little mushy pink bundle doesn't look much like either of them at the moment but we all nod and agree. Ryan grabs my hand and the tears finally spill over when he squeezes it.

"So are you going to call him Gus Junior?" I jokingly ask Gus and Annabeth shoots me a look while Gus says, "We ain't fully decided yet."

"We did decide actually-" Annabeth warns while her mom says, "You gave him 3 names, surely with one of those y'all can agree on something."

"Yes, we decided to call him-" Annabeth starts when Gus cuts her off, "How about Ark? His initials?" I watch Annabeth glare at Gus and snap, "Ark?"

"Okay, Gus Jr. then," Gus says again with a shrug and I wonder if we'll be planning his funeral soon. She clears her throat and her daggers leave Gus as she says, "We're going to call him Kingsley." We all look to her and burst into nods and smiles, knowing Gus has no intention of calling his son anything but Gus Jr.

"Will you be taking Kingsley to the baptism on Saturday?" Mrs. Matthews asks, hoping to change the subject and Annabeth whips her stare towards her, "And expose him to germs and lookie-loos! I think not!" Mrs. Blackwood looks to Mrs. Matthews but they leave the subject be. Annabeth continues, "I'm also not sharing the announcement of our son with Lulabelle's event. When we're ready we'll think of the right way."

"So no parade?" I joke and Annabeth looks to me, "I can't fathom how Lulabelle found that appropriate." I smile, knowing there was a brief moment when Annabeth was wondering how to pull one off when the time came.

"Are y'all still planning to live at Gus's?" Ryan asks, after Mr. Blackwood makes a comment about helping them home and Gus nods, "For now, but I know we'll be needin' more space here soon enough."

"How has Tim been?" Mrs. Matthews asks and I shouldn't be surprised that everyone is aware that we've been house hunting.

"He's been great. He found us our house and we weren't the easiest of clients," I tell them and while rubbing a finger over Kingsley's forehead Gus asks, "Where did y'all end up?"

"The old Victorian near the library. Where the Mannings used to live," I tell him but I don't know if they'll remember where my old tennis coach used to live. But Annabeth nods and Mrs. Blackwood adds, "That is a gorgeous property. You'll have plenty of room to raise a family there."

"It was the only house we could agree on. But Tim was great, so if you guys decide to start looking I would recommend him," I tell Annabeth and Gus. I don't feel tension between us and I don't want to make their big moment about Annabeth's pettiness so I continue to smile and stay airy.

"Will you guys need any help with anything this week?" I ask the new parents and they look to each other while I add, "I can bring food over or anything you guys need."

"I'm sure we'll have guests filtering in throughout the week to meet Kingsley, so we'll be fine," Annabeth says curtly and I guess there is still some tension there. I want to be involved in my best friend's big moment and I want them to be excited for when I share mine but right now I can tell the rift is still there. Kingsley has helped get me in the room but all is clearly not forgiven.

"Hey I ain't turning anyone away that wants to help change diapers," Gus adds, which tells me I am on good terms with Gus. He won't let Annabeth keep me away. I laugh and look to Ryan, "You're going to be the one that needs the practice." Ryan looks to me in confusion, knowing we don't want to spill the beans so I quickly add, "for when that time comes for us!"

Gus laughs, "Thought you were tellin' us somethin' there." Ryan and I quickly laugh, maybe too quickly and falsely but I wave him away, "Oh no." Mrs. Matthews grabs Kingsley from Annabeth and we all swoon as we pass him around. When he falls into my arms I look to Ryan and I can feel the excitement between us. I'm no longer worried or anxious, I'm just excited to know that Ryan and I will be this elated here soon. In a new house, starting a new life. And even though I know Ryan wants me to keep this a secret a little longer, looking over at Mrs. Matthews I know I cannot continue to keep this news from my mother. So as we stroll back to Ryan's truck after the nurses shooed everyone away, I look to him and say, "I'm going to tell my mother on Saturday. I'll tell her how serious the Cunningham situation is and swear her to secrecy."

He helps me into the truck but before shutting the door he looks to the floor and shakes his head, "Sawyer, I don't trust that-"

"You have to trust me, Ryan. And I almost blabbed to Annabeth in there, it's becoming impossible not to talk about and I can't have it slip out to anyone until my mother knows."

"You can't have it slip to anyone, Sawyer," Ryan tells me flatly and I nod, "I know, I know. Just let me tell my mother. I can't keep tip-toeing around Annabeth and my mother, I'm going to start showing here soon. I need them to know because I saw what keeping secrets do to my relationships. It never ends well."

"You can start with your mother but I'm not letting anyone else know yet Sawyer, including Gus and Annabeth," Ryan says sternly. He has his hand on the door, not shutting it until I compromise. I sigh out, "Only because I want Annabeth to soak up all her baby excitement as long as possible I'll wait on her. But it's happening with my mother on Saturday and you will be with me." He reluctantly nods, we're both exhausted and ready to head home so maybe that's why he nods, but for whatever reason, he gives in and for the first time in my life I am excited to go to one of Lulabelle's events.