Tailed

I filled Ryan in on my meeting with Veronica and he looked grim while we drove back into Hollis. He kept one hand on the steering wheel, while the other held his chin with his elbow propped up on the windowsill and the breeze blowing his hair back. He never looked over to me while he was deep in thought. I kept stealing glances at his profile, but his eyes would only dart to the rearview mirror. I wondered what was keeping him quiet. 

After we pull off the highway and roll to a stop at a red light, he finally looks at me and asks, "Why did Sebastian not mention you at all? Why is he keeping y'alls relationship a secret?"

I shrug, "I am just as confused as you are. I don't see our relationship being a detriment to him."

"Nothing about him seemed off while you two were together?" Ryan asks and I slump my head against the headrest. He drives us into downtown Hollis as I reply, "No. You might not want to hear this, but Bash was a pretty good guy. He treated me right and we had a fairly normal relationship."

"Minus the drug habit and his felon friends," Ryan murmurs and I give him an eye roll as I look to him. 

"Ryan, even you gave me your blessin' before you left to New York. His red flags were not obvious."

"I just want to know what he's playing at. Why warn you about the Cunninghams and keep your relationship a secret?"

"At least from the trial. Dot and Kit must know I dated Bash, it's not a complete secret from the family." I remind him and he suddenly swerves so hard off the road I have to throw my hand against the window to keep balanced. "What the f-"

"I knew we were being followed," Ryan says harshly as he keeps his eyes out his open window. A black town car swerves off the main road and slowly drives past us. The windows are too dark to see inside, but suddenly the town car is pulling off to park in front of Ryan's truck. We are on a side road that leads to someone's property but out of direct traffic. I wait for the glow of the brake lights to come on before glancing to Ryan. 

"Clearly someone wants to talk..." I murmur but Ryan doesn't move from the car. I watch as his hand goes for the glove box where I know he keeps a gun, but I quickly shoot my arm out to swat his hand away. 

"Sawyer, we don't know who is inside that car."

"We don't need to make it look like you're locked and loaded yet either!" I snap at him and finally the driver's side opens and an older man in a black suit pops out. I look to Ryan and say, "That's Sebastian Crawford's driver." He walks casually over to us and stops when he gets to Ryan's open window. 

"Uh, good day. Mr. Crawford would like to speak with you both. Preferably in a less public setting," the driver asks while looking around at the semi-private drive.

"He has my wife's number, why the tailing?" Ryan asks and the driver looks around again before answering, "He worries his phone is being monitored."

I look to Ryan, "What do you think?"

"I think I'd prefer to meet in a very public setting," Ryan defensively replies and the driver chimes in, "Eyes are on Mr. Crawford. He has a reason for wanting it to be low-key."

"He's very trusting in you," Ryan tells the driver and it's the same man that drove me around last spring. He was very familiar with Sebastian's whereabouts. 

"The family hired me, Mr. Hart. I work for them and one of my duties is to look after Mr. Crawford. He knows I have his best interests at heart and he also knows that you miss, are familiar with me."

"Is that why he sent you out here?" Ryan asks and the driver glances back to the car before replying, "He felt you might be more inclined to speak with me."