Keel Over

I struck out again on the second house, and the third and continued to do so until we spent two more weeks crisscrossing around Hollis. Ryan either loved the land, but hated the house or loved the house, but hated the lack of land. Meanwhile, I was trying not to lose my hair about going almost a month without contact with my mother, father and best friend. I think they were holding meetings in private about how to continue on with this diabolical plan because they all seemed to be doing just fine without me.

I hadn't run into any more enemies, but Ryan informed me Rory's arraignment was to happen in two weeks. We all imagine he's going to go to trial to plead his case of innocence and I dreaded having to talk to any lawyers about my involvement. Ryan was petrified that I was going to be dragged into the drug charges because of my affiliation with Sebastian, but I imagine the Crawfords will do everything they can to not be tethered to the case.

So after house hunting, awaiting trial and keeping secrets, I was at my wit's end when the morning sickness started. And in turn, Margot was the first to learn of my pregnancy, which I strongly regretted.

Suddenly, I had a strong aversion to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. On the morning of another day of house hunting, I walked into the kitchen, smelled the once glorious smell of strong dark coffee and immediately proceeded to ralph in Margot's white farmhouse kitchen sink. She looked at me in horror, catching me in the act and asked, "Why on Earth did you just ruin my sink?"

I reached for a paper towel to dab my mouth and was only able to moan in response. Through watery eyes, I looked at her and my hand instinctively went to my torso. Still, with a look of pure disgust on her pretty face, she replied, "Oh God! You're not pregnant are you?" By her tone, I couldn't decide which answer would be worse. I shook my head and was going to lie when the second round hit me. I arched myself back over her sink and after heaving out bile she gasps, "You are aren't you!" I hold a finger up, trying to think if I want to continue holding onto this secret, but I am too tired to, so I simply shrug. She quickly dashes off before I can stop her, my stomach keeping me near the sink and by the time I realize this round is over Austin is in the kitchen as wide-eyed as Margot.

"You're knocked up?" Austin asks in shock and once again his tone doesn't reveal his feelings. I pull myself straight up and lean against the counter as I reply, "Apparently so."

"Have you gone to the doctor yet?" Austin asks and I nod. I suddenly wish Ryan was here, but he left early for some mysterious appointment.

"We went a couple weeks ago. I wanted to say something but I wanted mother to be the first to know. I didn't need this round of information to be given to her by someone other than me," I tell him harshly, hoping he knows not to blab.

"Well holy shit!" Austin says while throwing his hands up. He comes over and pulls me into a hug, which clearly conveys his attitude toward the news. Margot's hands cover her face hiding her true feelings.

"I can't believe Ryan has managed to keep this secret. I mean it explains why he's been hell-bent on findin' a house so quickly."

"It could have been that he's just tired of the present company," I joke.

"Says the woman that's been living rent-free for weeks," Austin replies flatly and I roll my eyes, "I've always lived rent-free."

"So you didn't know when you got married?" Margot finally asks and I quickly shake my head, "I had no idea. But apparently, I was pregnant at the time of our nuptials. I just had no idea."

"So that means you're like...two...three months along?" Margot asks and I quickly answer, "A little over two."

"I can't decide if Momma is going to be elated or furious," Austin mutters while staring off into space.

"I can't either. She's going to have to answer me sometime or she's going to miss the birth of her first grandchild."

"Well, she left to go visit Aunt Lizzie in Georgia last Thursday. I can't imagine she won't be home within the next few days seeing she can never stand to be with her for more than a week."

"She RSVP'd to The Anders' baptism reception on Saturday," Margot chimes in and I had completely forgotten about the brunch at the Anders' this weekend. If I remember correctly, Gus and his mother were supposed to be in attendance and Annabeth if her ankles had managed to stop swelling.

"You should announce your pregnancy at the baptism," Austin jokes. "LulaBelle would never invite you to anything again."

I push myself away from the sink to grab a glass for water as I reply, "As tempting as that sounds, I feel like we should tell the Harts before I tell Hollis."

"Not even Ryan's parents know? Why?" Austin quickly asks in shock.

"Because Essie is due anytime now and Ryan wanted to wait to drop the marriage and baby bomb on them after the hoopla has died down. Chase and Ryan hardly get along and Ryan thought Chase wouldn't take too kindly to have his excitement stolen away."

"That's stupid." Austin says bluntly but I glare at him and reply, "It's why Margot was going to wait a year to marry you. She didn't want Annabeth's rushed marriage and pregnancy distracting from y'all's big day." I flit my eyes to Margot's pink cheeks but Austin just rolls his eyes.

"Well, the trial should be even more interesting now. Ryan is already annoyingly protective over you and now if you're pregnant, his stress is going to put him in an early grave," Austin says while putting the Brita pitcher I left out on the counter away.

"Why? He shouldn't stress. It's going to go the same way if I weren't pregnant," I tell him after downing the ice-cold water. I gave him crap when he first served me water out of the Brita but now I can't imagine going back to tap water- which will remain my secret.

"Sawyer, you're going to be put under a great deal of scrutiny if you have to testify. Even giving a statement to a lawyer is going to have the Cunninghams putting a target on your back. I understand his reason to worry I just fear the baby is going to send him off the deep end."

I glance between Margot and Austin, both blending into the whiteness of their kitchen and wave my hand toward them, "I'll be fine. The arraignment hasn't even happened yet and we have bigger fish to fry until then."

"True. I shouldn't be worried about Ryan spiraling, I should be worried about mother and if she'll keel over at your latest announcement," Austin jokes but I don't laugh. I just nod in agreement. My mother can't run from me forever. If I have to corner her at LulaBelle's then so be it. At least she'll be dressed nicely and in her finest pearls if she does in fact, keel over.