Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Evelyn

Sunshine filtered through the open hole in the tree. I yawned and extended my arms skyward, stretching my somewhat sore muscles. I tried to rub the blurriness out of my vision. My attention turned to my feet. Someone stood, hovering over me and breathing out impatiently.

An elf with short brown hair and storm cloud colored eyes stood glaring over me. His lips were pinched, his slim nose was flared and his bushy eyebrows were knit together in frustration. His arms were folded, clearly cross.

He cleared his throat. "Are you awake yet?" His foot started to tap. This guy had some serious patience issues.

"Yes," I left the floor. Icelia was still snoring, puffs of cold air coming out of her nose ever time she breathed out. "Would you please stop staring daggers at me?" I put my hands on my hips.

"I understand you were told last night to wake up bright and early. I've been waiting an hour, sweet precious time that is needed to train you. Years of training needed to be put in a week's worth of time. Get up." He clapped his hands together. I thought elves are patient people who usually take their time in life.

"Here are your clothes. I expect you downstairs in ten minutes. We need to train you to increase your magical abilities and your fighting skills." Roughly Mr. Rude Elf handed me clothes and pushed me downstairs to my room.

I heard the soft click of the door behind me. I sighed and put a hand to my head. I hurriedly went to the bathroom, located on the floor below me. The elves had an interesting system, where they could tap into some of the trees water source. Instead of a bath, the water came from above and rained down on my head.

I scrubbed myself as quickly as possible. I didn't want to be late for Mr. Angry pants downstairs. My change of clothes was a shirt and trousers, but on top of that I wore some leather clothes, probably something for protection. I laced up the leather top. It reminded me a little of a corset.

I quickly pulled my hair up and placed my belt that held the sword in its sheath. The familiar weighted rested against my hip. I made sure mother's pendent was secure on my neck. Satisfied, I quickly made my way to Mr. Angry Pants.

The bright morning sun greeted me. I shielded my face with my hand. The sounds of nature were abuzz around me. Without a word the mean elf promptly began to walk. I followed soundly.

Birds called to each other from the trees up above. Elves were walking around going about their business. Most people paid no attention to us. A few nodded their heads at Mr. Angry Pants.

Up ahead the trees stopped. We were nearing the big clearing; clashes of metal upon metal rang through the air. Elves were practicing their fighting skills on the left side of the clearing. A Weapon master stood guard over racks of swords, crossbows, spears, the likes. The right side was filled with colored smoky wisps, I immediately recognized as magic.

The sight was so beautiful, I sighed. Mean elf turned around and motioned behind him. "This is the practice grounds. Here is where we will work on your strength and technique and also you magic capabilities." His hands were animating his speech. "I will be your instructor. My name is Sena of the house of Aren, best Swordsman in the whole house, part of the Queen's own high council."

Sena's voice was full of pride. He knew he was the best and wasn't afraid to show it. He actually flashed a smile that surprised me. Sena continued to lead me onto the practice ground. Dirt was kicked up from the ground and elves were vigorously going at each other, on the small arena.