Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Evelyn

The travel was strange. Cold bit at my cheeks, my fingers lost feeling, yet I felt alive and free. The rest of my body was hot, and started to perspire. The sensation was weightless, as though I was flying. I couldn’t see anything ahead but the small door to a fireplace that I’d seen before I stepped through.

All too soon, the feeling disappeared and I was in a warm room. The fireplace burned bright, and a rocking chair was sitting close by. It reminded me of the time mother read stories to me before bed. The roof had support beams, and the look reminded me of a vague image from my past.

I had this thought of someone coming in dragging a deer in cold winter. My mother was brushing my hair and Allison was nearby playing with her dolls, but that was about it.

Cuthien was in front of me. His hands were neatly folded in front of him. “How was the journey, my lady?” He asked generously.

I nodded and replied, “Cold, but interesting. Now, what was it you need to speak to me about? I really shouldn’t keep my friends waiting.” Cuthien took off his coat and then gracefully slid into the rocking chair. He then motioned with his hand for me to sit.

“First things first, you are of Elven descent, Royal Elven Descent to be exact.” He had said this as if he were asking me how my day was. I opened my mouth to ask how, but he held up his hand. “Please, no interruptions.”

“Your mother is Princess Victoria, correct?” I nodded my head, “Princess Victoria is one of the few Elves to be born with rounded ears. Because of the trait, she was named a powerful human name, rather than that of the Elves. She was strong and beautiful, prepared to be the next ruler of our wonderful land.”

He paused, as if wondering how to word the next phrase. “Somehow your father met Princess Victoria and courted her. Victoria felt different, like she belonged more into the human world. She accepted his marriage proposal without asking permission. Princess Victoria only took one thing, that necklace you’re wearing right now.” He pointed a finger toward my neck.

I reached up to cradle the pendent, “This all sounds like a fairytale. I don’t believe you. My mother never lied to me…” I trailed off thinking of past memories. My mother told me to go play, before stepping into that weird door in the garden.

“You may think what you want. We never heard much of Princess Victoria; we only caught snips of information here and there among the human realm. Your cruel father, kept her hidden away. Many times we tried to reach her. We were only successful once.”

He paused once again, “Some time ago—or maybe recently, I can’t keep track of time very well— Princess Victoria contacted us through a seeing glass. She told us urgent news, that of King Kyle’s enforced rule of no contact with us, and how she felt her time in the world was coming to an end. Something was going to happen and she wouldn’t live through it.”

I stood up from my seat abruptly; I stuffed a finger at his face, and yelled, “You lie! I know you are! My mother was sick, and my father is not that cruel, no matter how strongly you believe!” I was seething. Small hairs fell in front of my face, and I furiously pushed them aside.

“Tell me then, who are your grandparents? Did your father ever show love toward you?” His face was still a mask of calmness. I slapped his face, and then abruptly turned and sat back down in my seat.

“Of course he loved me, you don’t anything about me! Besides I do know that my grandparents died. Father and mother told me they died two years before my birth.” I glared at Cuthien but lowered my voice.