Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Allison

It felt awkward and weird to be riding someone else’s horse. Her name was Snowflake and she was a very gently mare. At the pace we were going, there were hardly any bumps.

The sun kept increasing higher into the sky and spreading its awful waves. Being in that stuffy dress wasn’t making it any better. Luckily I had gentle Snowflake and not Lightning, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to stay on no matter how hard I tried in the dress.

Aunt Rosa was riding a few paces in front of me next to Captain Shadow. About five soldiers stood guard around me, one in front two in rear and one on each side, forming a perfect pentagon.

The direction was north, which was odd, because Isilee and Azlagien were south. Only the Outer Boundaries was north, and those who had ventured to cross it never came back. It was filled with mountainous terrain.

When the sun was at its worst, Captain Shadow finally let us rest. “Only thirty minutes men. We must not be late for the rendezvous point; after all we don’t want to upset Lady Anita and Lord Kito and have to keep them waiting.”

Aunt Rosa was already at my side. She gently led me away from the bustling group of people. “I can’t help you quite yet. If I do, they will track us down and surely find us. Stay with me Allison, I know you want to hurry and get out of here, but we must make the wisest decisions.”

Aunt Rosa practically read my mind. I was probably causing Evelyn tons of stress. I simply nodded my head. “However, I can ease your pain of wearing that dress. There’s a refreshing river nearby that you can use to cool yourself off, while I prepare lunch.”

Soon enough, I heard water trickling down stream at a steady pace. I noticed I had slightly quickened my pace. Slowing down I corrected my poised self. My hands automatically clasped in front of me. Aunt Rosa came up behind me, “Darling, there’s no reason to be the perfect princess. No one’s here and you need to loosen up, be a girl instead of the future Queen. I remember myself at that age, always getting into trouble and mischief, to have that taken away would be a shame.”

Lightly Aunt Rosa pushed on my back. I felt my nerves shiver throughout my body as adrenaline came. To be a normal girl, I had always wondered what that would be like. I raced down toward the fresh sound, the dress slowing me down, but not much. This is what Evelyn would do, without a doubt. She wouldn’t even care if the dress got ripped, or trees snagged at her hair or dirt smeared on her face. She would laugh and enjoy the whole moment.

I slipped off my boots and then my stockings. I lightly dipped my big toe in the water. Cool, clear water rushed by. Skirts in hand I waded further into the river. I small laugh bubbled in the back of my throat. I practically threw myself into the water, not caring about how I was going to be dry.

I splashed and had the most fun since I was perhaps six years old. Aunt Rosa was preparing food on the shore. I could see the corners of her mouth twitching into a smile. Her head was bent and one small strand fell out of the gray bun on the top of her head.