Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Allison

That was the worst experience of my life, ever. I was brought upon a stage. Soldiers were in the crowd. Expressionless faces, no emotion what so ever. They stared looking at me for five minutes straight. Then simultaneously, they turned to each other and whispered, some even pointed.

Stay calm; this is their way of getting to you. I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath, hoping it would all disappear. Popping open one eye, I glanced to see if my wish came true, like in all those fairytales I read when I was younger.

Nope, every scaring faces, and blank expressions. Finally one of the soldiers spoke up, “What is she wearing? Her clothing is a disgrace to our kind. She’s hardly wearing anything at all. Where’s your modesty, girl!”

My clothing is always appropriate. Ankle or floor length, with sleeves always at least to the middle the upper part of my arm, about an inch or two from my collar bone and the back always up to my shoulders. These people must be insane, what is there idea of modesty?

Aunt Rosa strolled behind me, without a pause she whispered, “I’ll tell you later,” And calmly continued on her way. I turned to the audience of soldiers, with as much dignity I could muster.

“I’m sorry I have offended you. This is the normal style, of my people, but I will try my hardest to fit in.” Silently I added I don’t even want to be here. Where is here anyways.

Captain Shadow came up behind me, his breath bearing down on my neck, making me want to flinch. “I’ll take you back to your tent, miss.” His hand firmly grabbed my elbow and guided me away.

I had never been so happy to see the small, bare room. Captain Shadow left and soon enough, Aunt Rosa came in. The flap rustled back into place behind the old woman.

She sighed, and closed her eyes. “Sometimes,” She started, “I really do hate these people.” Her face became calm, and her wrinkles seemed to disappear. Small locks of silver brown hair fell out of her pinned up hair.

“Well, there’s nothing I can do about it now.” She snapped her blue eyes open, “What did I need to tell you?” She tilted her head slightly. A small gesture with her hands motioned me to help remind her.

“The clothing style, you said something about explaining that.” I stared intently at her, hoping to suck up all the traditions of the Isileean people. The sooner I can become like one, the sooner I can try to slip away.

“Hmm, Oh yes, I thought it would be wise to let you be comfortable in your clothes, if anything. It seems they don’t like that either. The women of Isilee wear long sleeved dresses with the bodice tight around their waist. The top should cover your collar bone, or even be higher. Men should never be able to see a woman’s ankles or even the tips of their boots. Always be hidden.”

She continued on, “They are very modest people, yet sometimes the clothing can get very stiffly and a real pain. I honestly think its ok to wear short sleeves, at least covering your shoulders, and what’s the problem about a little bit of ankle?” she rolled her eyes.

“You speak as if you aren’t from Isilee. I don’t mean to intrude, but where are you from?” All this was really great, but something kept nagging at the back of my mind.

“I was born in Nicole, Endsworth, lived there for about eight years of my youth. My father died, and the people wouldn’t let me stay with my now unmarried mother, said it was bad luck of sorts. Nonsense, what’s wrong with a widowed woman? I was sent off to… What’s the country east of Endsworth again?”