Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Evelyn

I would have been surprise if Allison didn’t pass out after all the fighting and rescuing and just craziness that she’s done. I mean she rescued me from Laveda, fought a dragon, used her powers and killed a dragon, oh and let’s not forget save my life.

All of a sudden it’s like Allison became some high and mighty person that’s so much better than me. I always thought myself brave, but now I’m puny and weak compared to her.

I glanced over at her sleeping figure, so nice and peaceful. If you didn’t see the dirt smeared on her face and clothes, and the rats in her hair, I would have thought she just completed a long sewing project than fight a dragon.

A smile appeared on my lips, it quickly turned into a grin that I just could not hide. How many people in the world could say they’ve seen a dragon and survive, or even defeat one?

I stood up on my wobbly feet. I was a bit exhausted too, but not as much as Allison. Laveda almost stepped on me, but I dogged out of the way, I hit my side hard and I think I might eventually have a nasty bruise there.

Laveda was as dead as a doornail, so to give her body a piece of my mind I went over and kicked her hide. The scales were frozen and her body was ice cold. I reached down and felt the scales. They were cool and smooth.

Yes, I know you should not touch a dead body or take anything away from one, but I wanted a possession to prove I’d seen a dragon. I reached down, with grubby hands, and pried loose a red scale.

I glittered and flashed through the firelight. I cupped it in my hands, and peered closely at it. The scale seemed almost harmless, but with many of them on a body they could shred through you and protect the dragon in the process.

I turned back to the fire in the center. Someone has to make dinner. I went over and drew water from my pouch and washed my hands. I turned to look at my pack of dried provisions.

That would make a horrible meal. I went outside and looked for some sort of fresh meat to eat and celebrate. A fat rabbit hopped out of a bush and dashed away from me. I felt bad, but I raised my hand and formed a dirt cage around the rabbit.

With each step closer, the rabbit shivered and tried to scoot away from me. I reached down with my knife and stabbed the rabbit through the eye. I felt the poor animal shiver and then go limp.

The cooking went really well, I usually have a tendency to burn things, so when it came out golden brown with only one small burnt spot I was excited.

Allison shifted and sat up. Her eyes were a bit red but otherwise she looked healthy. She rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hands, and yawned. “I smell food; please don’t tell me you burnt something.” She said through yet another yawn.

“Nope, this is my best one yet.” I handed her half the rabbit, and she took it gratefully. The way we ate you would think we hadn’t seen food for over a year, that poor rabbit went down our stomach in a blink of an eye.

Something flashing caught my eye. I turned to look at the object. A little fiery nest, which I hadn’t noticed before, sat near Laveda. With quick careful steps, I edged toward it. When I got close enough to look over the edge, I saw three oval figures.

One was blue, another green, and the last was a bright golden yellow. Green was my favorite color, but the blue seemed to call to me. It sat glimmering and shining enticing me.