Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Evelyn

I continued to drag Ryan away from the camp. He struggled in my grasps—a couple times he dug his feet into the ground, Ryan also tried to swipe my feet out from under me— Ryan was just being a little rascal.

When we were far enough that the Guards couldn’t hear or see us, I smacked Ryan on the upside of the head, like I’d seen the guard do earlier. “Stop it, Okay? I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Why’d you turn my brother in? You’re an evil witch, get away from me!” I quickly put my hand over Ryan’s mouth to smother his shouts. A string of slightly muffled curse words left his mouth. Suddenly a sharp, jarring pain emitted from my hand. That stupid kid bit me.

What kind of kid knows a colorful vocabulary at twelve? “You take that back! My sister’s going to rescue Caleb. We just had to find a way to get you out, while also finding a way to get inside the camp!” Ryan stopped fighting. His next words didn’t come.

After about a minute of staring, “I give up!” I set Ryan gently on his feet.

“There, my name’s Eve. It’s nice to meet you Ryan.” I held my hand out. Ryan stared at it questioningly. He then spit a glob in his hand and smacked our hands together in a firm handshake. I pulled away and resisted the urge to wipe my hand on his face.

Instead, I wiped it on a passing tree. It was still sticky with his spit, but I didn’t want to offend the kid quite yet. “When’ll they be back? I haven’t seen Caleb in two years, I thought he was dead.”

My heart broke a little. Two years? It was that long? “Hopefully soon, Allie just has to do her magic and boom they’re out!” Hopefully, I thought. The main reason I wanted to get Ryan and not rescue Caleb was 1) I really wanted to do something easy 2) Prove I’m not always trying to be a hero 3) If Allie failed. I get to be the hero.

I had the whole fantasy planned out. Allison would say that for once, I wasn’t impulsive and that I was a hero. She’d hug me and look up to me. We’d be best buds again. (There may or may not have been a whole speech they gave to me on how wonderful I was.) And then Allison would present me a laurel to show I am a champion.

Yes, I know it’s pathetic to dream of, but one can just hope.

Suddenly, I remembered to check in on Icelia for the update on ORR (operation rescue Ryan.) Hey Icelia, is everything running smoothly? You should come meet Ryan when you’re done.

Yes, everything is going smoothly. Iverene told me that Allison just found were Caleb was being held. Don’t worry; they’ll be in and out of there before you know it.

Icelia sort of crushed my hero dream. Ryan’s awfully quiet, I noticed. He hadn’t said a word since my last Allie will break him out and boom, and many more sound effects.

I turned back to see Ryan’s progress in following. Don’t want to lose the little guy now. I joked. A little smile was spread on my face. I looked right, and then left. Oh no! The smile faltered and turned to panic. I can’t believe I lost Ryan. I would be a horrible babysitter.

“Ryan,” I hissed. “Come here. Don’t you dare make me find you.” I was boiling with anger.

No answer.

“Ryan,” I warned. I was getting impatient. My thoughts turned dark. What if he’s not hiding? What if he was kidnapped? What if he died? What will Caleb think of me? Why can’t things go according to plan? I shook my head vigorously. Don’t let doubt creep in, Evelyn.