Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Evelyn

         “We need to decide our course of action…” My father droned on. I don’t really pay attention; I just stare with glazed eyes, nodding my head every few minutes. I’ve perfected the way to sleep without actually looking like you were sleeping. It’s a necessary skill. After all, the meeting really wasn’t going to end anytime soon. They never do. I think the steady ticking of the clock mocks me by slowing down on purpose. “You’re not getting out of here until my hand reaches one. And I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen for a long, long time,” the silver clock seems to say.

         I hate meetings; they’re so enclosed and stuffy. And you can’t show any emotion. You can’t even smile. My dad, Kyle, who happens to be the king of our little kingdom, Endsworth), always says that it’s a “privilege” to go to these meetings. If you ask me, they’re just a creative punishment. I couldn’t stay awake if I tried, and I don’t even bother trying to anymore. On the other hand, Allison lives for the meetings.

         She loves all the political and social events that being a princess requires. Sometimes, I don’t even understand how we’re sisters, much less twins. Fortunately, Allison’s the eldest, so she’s the one who has to learn the royal responsibilities. If I were in her place, I would have died a long time ago. Allison twirled a strand of her golden blond curls thoughtfully and stared intently at Father with her intense brown eyes.

         She says something I don’t really catch. Father smiles and she beams back at him, just like in any other meeting. It’s all very dull. I stare off into space until I hear my favorite words: “The meeting is dismissed.” Councilors shuffle their papers together slowly while I practically leap from my chair.

         I’m free! I bolt from the room, eager to escape its horrors. I pass under the same old marble archways, my footsteps echoing down the halls. A servant swears under her breath as I almost crash into her, but they’re all used to me by now. They’ve had fourteen years to get used to me. I rush my apologies anyway and continue on my way to my room. It’s not a good idea to make the servants mad at you, especially if they have control over your food.

         I turn down one last hallway, and finally, I reached my chamber. My nursemaid, Cassandra, is knitting some pink swath of fabric. Ugh. Probably for Allison, since I would rather cover myself in dirt than wear pink. I’ve startled Charlotte, my lady in waiting. She jumps up from her wooden rocking chair to help change me out of my poufy dark green dress. Almost all the furniture is the same as it was when I was born. No one bothered to change it, and I don’t care.

         It was a routine every day. Every morning, for almost a year now, we’ve had meetings. And every morning, as soon as the meeting is over, I rush to my room to change from a ball gown that I can never manage to walk gracefully in; no matter how many lessons Father makes me take. From a cage to freedom, is what I say. Today, the shirt is green and the leggings are black. Charlotte braids my hair back while I sit in the rocking chair. I tap my foot, even though I know it annoys her. I just wish she would work faster. Patience is not my strong suit, but I feel like Charlotte is working especially slow today. She’s barely done tying my hair off with an unnecessary green ribbon before I jump out of my seat and grabs my riding boots, then the door handle. I need to get out.

“Miss Evelyn, be safe.” Charlotte stumbles into the hall after me and called “and don’t get hurt!”

“Sometimes I worry about her.” I hear Cassandra mumble.