Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Evelyn
There was a knock at the door. Short and fierce, not something to be totally terrified of, but it surprised me so much, I fell out of bed. A silent scream escaped my lips as I hit the ground. I scurried forward on my hands and knees.

The door slammed open. Brown leather boots were level with my eyes. They had plenty of scuff marks. I laughed hesitantly and sat back on my heels. My gaze slowly traveled upward past the black tunic and cloak. A familiar face stared at me, one I wish not to remember. The elf, or should I say, half-elf stared at me with cold gray eyes. He had jet black hair and a pronounced jaw line. I watched as his expression went from hard to sour.

"What are you doing on the floor?" The gruff voice demanded. It had a strong low raspy sound that tickled my ears. I displayed my most innocent expression and pressed my lips into a small 'O'.

"Nothing," I hurriedly stood and brushed my hands on my pants with a soft pat. I stared up with wide eyes just past the elf's head. I tried to keep my emotions calm. I was positive he could sense fear.

"Don't tell me you're afraid," he mocked, "Just like every elf here. That's the first sign of weakness." He glared down at me. I was ready to jump out of my skin and fly away with Icelia.

I took a deep breath, "Of course, I'm not afraid at all, especially since there's nothing really to fear about you, Thorne." He laughed. It wasn't a very pleasant sound. I took all my willpower not to cringe.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. Now come. It's time for your lesson."

I was taken back, "This early in the morning. Can't I sleep?" I whined.

"No, you weren't sleeping anyways. Darkness is the best time for finding evils." Thorne turned away from me, and then glanced behind, "Come along now." He spoke as if I were just a little child. Which was true, I still hated the feeling.

We walked together in silence. It gave me time to think about my nightmare. I couldn't help but feel a weird knowing sensation in my stomach. It was sickening to see Allison laying like that, crumpled in an awkward position, like an abandoned rag doll. It doesn't seem like a nightmare. The dream seemed real and I can't get rid of the feeling that it could possibly come true.

Moonlight filters through the trees, casting a pale silvery look upon Thorne. His menacing features seem calmer, yet all the more frightening. I gasp as something scuttles across my leg. "Are you scared, Princess Evelyn?"

I gulp, "No, that's just silly." I lie. I can't seem weak. I feel as though this is a test and The House of Terath is laughing and testing my strength. All I can feel is a wimpy sensation, and the nightmare is not helping it.

A fabric flies over my eyes. I cry out and try to tear it off. "Calm, Evelyn. Don't panic. The world smells fear and it's ready to pounce..." I nod my head stop trying to lash out. "Sit on the ground cross legged. I've taken away humans most dependent sense, sight."

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "See with your ears, your touch, and your smell. It is best if you can train the other senses, don't be so dependable upon your sight. This is the best way to sense when something is wrong in the atmosphere.

I'll leave you here. Sit here, clear your mind and concentrate upon pure intentions. Only then are you able to sense the evil in the world and purify it." Suddenly the hand left and the footsteps receded.

"Hello?" I called out.

No reply.

I sighed and slumped forward. Night critters crawled, making the smallest sounds. I breathed in and out in a slow steady rhythm. A pulse resounded throughout my body, flowing through in waves, as if I were sitting on a beach.