19 Lonesome Stranger

The Impala stands parked under a tree, and Sam and Dean are drinking beer by the fence around a small lake. 'Before Dad died, he told me something about you.'

'What? Dean, what did he tell you?'

'He said he wanted me to watch out for you and take care of you. He just said that I had to save you, that nothing else mattered, and that if I couldn't, I'd. . .' He will not think about this because he can and will look out for his brother.

'You'd what, Dean?'

'That I'd have to kill you. He said that I might have to kill you, Sammy.'

Rose stands outside undercover. She leans against the wall and sees Sam exit the motel room to get a coke from the vending machine: 'Sam, are you ok?'

He looks up: 'I don't know.' He turns around: 'Did you hear what Dean told me?'

'A little, but that doesn't change anything. I said it before and will keep repeating it; there is nothing wrong with you.'

'Uhm, and what if I do turn evil?'

'Then we'll turn it around.' She looks at him: 'Don't do anything reckless.'

'I told Dean that I'm staying.'

'But was it the truth?' Sam doesn't reply, and Rose says, 'At least think about it.' She gives him a brief hug and goes away. She hopes he stays; she wants them to try to find a solution when it comes to it. It's not even sure something is going to happen.

Dean storms out; Rose steps out of her car: 'Have you seen Sam?'

She turns around: 'He isn't here?' Dean looks worried: 'I tried to talk to him, told him that it doesn't matter.' She realizes what he is waiting for: 'You think I know where he is?' She understands why he asks: 'It doesn't matter. I'm going to find him.'

'You're not looking for him on your own.' Dean says, his voice softer. He believes that she doesn't know anything.

'I call Ellen and see if I can do something else.' She says and wonders what he is thinking.

'I'll get everything ready.'

Dean drives, and Rose sits in the passenger seat. She leans against the side of the car, sleeping. Her hand is around her phone, and her other arm is lying under her head as a pillow. He tried putting himself in her position. What would he have done if he came across the person that turned him, knowingly or not? It was easier than he assumed. He would kill the double. At least, that was his first assumption. He hoped he wouldn't, but he knew she didn't. Why didn't she? She is a monster, or at least she is supposed to be. She saved his life multiple times.

Her phone starts a melody, but she answers immediately: 'Hello.' She goes with her hand through her hair.

'It's Ellen.'

'Uhm, did you hear from Sam?'

'I have, but he made me promise not to tell you where he is.'

'Come on, Ellen, what if something happens. I want to help him, and how can I do that if I cannot speak to him.'

'I know that's what you want, but maybe you must wait a bit.'

'I know, but sometimes time that isn't what helps. Sometimes you must face what's happening and believe in the people around you.'

'Nice speech, He's in Lafayette, Indiana.'

'Thanks.'

'Lafayette, Indiana?' Dean asks her; her phone is on speaker. She nods.

Dean and Rose arrive and see Sam talking to a woman.

'He is fine.' Dean mumbles.

Rose's head shifts; she hears something. Someone is on the roof with a rifle: 'Dean', she whispers: 'There is someone on the rooftop behind us; he is setting up a rifle. I'm going to take a look.'

Dean nods, and Rose walks away. She finds a way into the building. Dean follows, but she leaves him behind when she speeds up the stair.

The man on the roof is waiting with a handgun. And when she opens the door, he shoots her. Rose holds in a scream. The man shoots again: 'I knew you were travelling with them. I came prepared.' He hits a few more times. The vervain affects her; it hurts, and she blacks out and falls.