33 The House of the Rising Sun

Sam, Dean and Rose are driving on a highway surrounded by woods. Rose sees something: 'Lookout! A woman.'

Dean stops the car just in time: 'Holy-!'

The woman goes to the passenger's side and pounds on the window, which Sam rolls down. 'Please. Please! Help me!'

'All right, all right. Calm down, calm down. Tell us what happened.' Sam tries.

The woman moves her hand through her brown hair and breathes heavily.

Rose leaves the car: 'Park at the side of the road.' She tells Dean. He nods, and she looks at the woman: 'Look at me... Yes, like that. You breathe in and out. What's your name?'

'Molly. Molly Mcnamara.'

'What happened, Molly?' Rose asks. Dean and Sam approach them.

Molly glances at them; she is shaking. Her breathing slows down: 'I-I swerved, a-And we crashed. And when I came to, the car was wrecked, and my husband was missing. I went looking for him, but that's when the man from the road, he... he started chasing me.'

'Did he look like he lost a fight with a lawnmower?' Dean asks.

'How did you know that?'

'Lucky guess.' Dean replies.

'Molly, we can take you back to town. You'll be safe.' Rose offers.

'I can't. I have to find David.' Molly looks around: 'He might have returned to the car.'

'We should get you somewhere safe first. Then we'll come back and look for your husband.' Sam tells her.

Molly shakes her head: 'No. I'm not leaving here without him. Would you just take me back to my car, please?'

The car parks by the woods near the crash site. They get out, and Molly leads them into the woods. Rose stays at her side: 'We'll find out what happened.' Rose tells Molly.

'I swear it happened here.' Molly panics. She goes forwards and starts looking around.

'Molly!' Rose yells and looks behind her: 'This doesn't feel right.'

'What are you going to tell her?' Dean asks.

'What about... the truth?' Rose replies.

Sam looks at Molly: 'We got to get out of here. Greeley could show up at any second. And she is coming back.'

'I know it sounds crazy, but I crashed into that tree. I don't know who could've taken it. It was totalled. Please. You have to believe me.'

'Molly, listen, we do believe you. But that's why we want to get you out of here.' Sam tells her.

They start driving towards the station; Rose listens to Molly. She is talking about why they were on that road. Telling her story and crying: 'You know the last thing I said to him? I called him a jerk. Oh, god. What if that's the last thing I said to him?'

Rose nods: 'Molly... We're going to figure out what happened to your husband. I promise.'

The radio starts making odd noises, then plays 'House of the Rising Sun'. Dean frowns and looks at Sam; he shakes his head, signing that he didn't change the channel.

'This song ...'

'What is special about this song Molly?' Rose asks.

'It was playing when we crashed.'

The radio crackles again and settles on another station. A creepy voice can be heard. 'She's mine. She's mine. She's mine.'

Molly looks at Rose, desperate for an explanation: 'What is that?'

A strange-looking man appears in the middle of the road.

'Hold on.' Dean says, and He drives straight into the man, who vanishes in a puff of smoke.

'What the... What the hell just happened?' Molly asks: 'Rose?'

'Don't worry, Molly. Everything's going to be all right.' Sam says, and the car begins to shudder.

Molly stands at the side of the road.

'I think we should tell her the truth.' Sam tells Dean.

Dean sighs: 'Sam!'

'The truth, about what?' Molly asks.

'About why we were here, on the road.' Rose explains. She wasn't a big fan of lying but played along. She thinks Dean is right about one thing. She would run away from them if she didn't know any better... about what's really out there: 'We're not here by accident.'

'We were here to hunt ghosts. We think his name is Jonah Greeley. He was a local farmer that died 15 years ago on this highway.' Sam explains.

'You're nuts.' Molly says and walks backwards, away from them: 'All three of you.'

'Really? He was about as nuts as a vanishing guy with his guts spilling out. You know what you saw.' Dean asks her.

She stops: 'No, don't....'

'One night a year, on the anniversary of his death, he haunts this road. That's why we're here, Molly. To try and stop him.' Sam continues his explanation.

'I just want to find my husband.' She cries and looks at Rose: 'Please help me.'

'I'll bring you to him.' Rose says, and Molly looks up at her: 'But you need to help us with something first. Tell us anything you know about that night.'