37 Rooster

Sam sits at the table. Rose sits on the bed, her back against the wall: 'Now we wait until Dean calls? And we know it's a djinn?'

Sam answers: 'Yes.' He looks up from his laptop: 'How were things in Mystic Falls? And do not just answer with 'nice'.'

'It wasn't nice.' She admits: 'It was strange. There were many memories, most of them involved one of my friends Alice. It was nice to have Dean there. That he showed up without me needing to ask it.' She said she didn't want him there but couldn't have done it without him.

'He wanted to be there for you because he cares about you.' Sam says: 'I don't understand why....'

She knows what he is going to ask. 'Why do I keep a distance if he is so amazing?'

Sam nods.

'I don't know.' She says: 'I don't want to hurt him.' She is scared of so many things, but mostly of herself; so many things can go wrong if... she doesn't even want to think about it. 'I saw another one, a woman this time.' She sees Elena struggling, sitting in the car, hands tied together: 'She was in trouble.'

'Another?' Sam asks. He doesn't understand.

'A doppelgänger.' Rose tells him. She wanted to tell Dean. She waits for a good moment: 'They said something about buying back their lives. If they could take her to the right person.'

'Do you think Dean is in danger?' He asks her.

'No.' She wishes she knew.

'Did you talk about this with him?'

She shakes her head. She didn't. He could be in danger.

'Why not?'

'I should have, I know.' She reminds herself that he is more capable of protecting himself than Elena. 'And I'll tell him.'

Sam nods. His phone rings, and he answers: 'Dean.' Sam stands up to talk with his brother. He walks up to the window: 'Yes, definitely a djinn. Dean, there's a cop car outside.'

Rose stands up and looks through the window.

'I don't know.'

She sees the cop car drive away, looks at Sam, and mounts: 'Not us.'

He nods, relieved that it's not: 'They're leaving. False alarm. So, you got anything yet?' Dean is driving around to see if he can find where the Djinn is hiding.

'Are you kidding me? How could I? You got me sifting through fifty square miles of real estate here.'

'Well, that's where all the victims disappeared.' Rose listens to the conversation.

'Yeah, well, I got diddly-squat. You think these suckers can really grant wishes?'

'I don't know. I guess they're powerful enough. But not exactly like Barbara Eden in harem pants. I mean, Djinn have been feeding off people for centuries. They're all over the Koran.'

'My God. Barbara Eden was hot, wasn't she? Way hotter than that Bewitched chick.'

'Are you even listening to me?'

He clears his throat: 'Yeah. So uh, where do the Djinns lair?'

'Ruins usually. Uh. Bigger the better – more places to hide.'

'I think I saw a place a couple of miles back. I'm going to go check it out.'

'No, come pick us up first.' Sam shouts at the phone, and then he puts it away.

The Impala pulls up and almost comes to a stop. Dean sees a factory.

Dean enters, with a flashlight, swinging open a creaky door. He walks through what appears to be an abandoned office. It was left in a hurry. A typewriter stands on the desk, and one of the file cabinets is left open. There's a dripping water sound, but otherwise, it appears empty to him.

He looks back and forth in it a few times and then starts walking back in the same direction he came from. He stops in the hall. Suddenly something attacks him, pinning him against the window wall. Dean drops the flashlight, and the Djinn slams Dean's right hand up against a wall, forcing him to drop his knife. The Djinn is bald, with curling blue tattoos all over its face. The Djinn opens its left hand, which begins to glow in blue while the Djinn's eyes start glowing. The monster puts its glowing hand on Dean's forehead, and his eyes roll up and take on a faint blue hue.