12 Hair of the Dog

Sam sits at the table behind his laptop, and Dean sits opposite him: 'So much for our low profile. You've got a warrant in St. Louis, and now you're officially in the Fed's database.' Sam tells them.

'Dude, I'm like Dillinger or something.' Dean laughs.

'Dean, it's not funny. It makes the job harder; we've got to be more careful now.'

Standing beside the table, looking out the window, Rose turns around: 'What happened?'

Dean grins: 'I'm on the Fed's database. Well, what do they have on you, Sam?'

Sam types on his computer: 'I'm sure they just haven't posted it yet.'

'Sure.' Rose says absently.

'Are you ok?' Sam asks.

'I'll be fine. Tell me you got a case.' She replies. She talked about this way more than she wanted to. Damon called, and she asked him if he knew what being a Doppelgänger could mean. He didn't have an answer.

'I have one.' Sam pulls out several research pages: 'Architect Sean Boyden plummeted to his death from the roof of his home, a condominium he designed.'

'Hmm. Build a high-rise and jump off the top of it. That's classy. When did he call animal control?' Dean says.

'Two days earlier.'

'And he actually saw a black dog?' Dean asks.

'Yeah. A vicious, wild, black dog. The authorities couldn't find it. No one else saw it. The authorities are a little confused. None of them could find out how a wild dog could get past the doorman, take the elevator up, and start roaming the halls of the cushiest joint in town. After that, no more calls, he doesn't show up for work, and two days later, he takes a swan dive.' Sam answers.

'I don't think it's an actual dog.' Rose mentions. Why couldn't he have found something else?

'Is there any lore on it?' Dean asks Sam while going through the rest of the file.

'it's all pretty vague. There are spectral black dogs worldwide, but... some say they're animal spirits; others say they are death omens. But anyway, whatever they are, they're big, nasty....'

'Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap out of your leg; look at that one, huh?'

'Any chance there is another case.' Rose asks, ignoring Dean.

Dean shakes his head: 'We're doing this one.'

'I thought so.'

They arrive at the apartment building where a business partner of their dead guy lives. Dean and Sam are talking to one another when she hears her phone. It's Damon: 'You go in and interview. I'll go to the animal protection agency. Can we meet there?'

Dean nods. Rose looks at them, walking into the building. Rose looks at them. 'Damon, are you ok?'

'Why wouldn't I be.' He jokes: 'I found some of my old things.'

'You're in my storage unit?' He only has stuff in the boarding house; most other things are temporary. She did keep things she thought could be meaningful.

'Yes.' He replies: 'You kept a few interesting things in here.'

'Ok.' She laughs: 'Why are you calling?'

Damon answers: 'I think it's time to have another look at getting her out of that tomb. It's time to search again.'

She hesitates; helping Katherine escape is not a good idea: 'What do you want me to do?'

'I need to know how the spell works, and you're good at research.'

'I don't know if I'll find anything.' Rose says, which isn't entirely the truth but is not a lie. There are essential ingredients needed for a spell. She doesn't know which ones are required for this specific one: 'What if I let you know if I find anything?'

'Good, that's what I'm asking.'

She ends the call and sighs, she doesn't want that woman free, but Damon wants to help Katherine.

Damon Salvatore is also a vampire. She found him again. She didn't think she'd get her best friend back, one of them at least. 'Katherine Pierce? That is her name?'

'She is such a beautiful woman, heart-shaped face, an abundance of brown curly hair, and deep brown eyes.'

'Ok, Damon, I know enough.'

'She knew how to have fun, to live.'