5 Surrender

'The case is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Let's meet at the apartment building.' Rose says, already walking towards her car.

'Ok, sounds good. Over the past eighty years, six women have vanished, all from the same building, all young blondes. It only happens every decade or two, so cops never eyeball the pattern. The last one is Katie Holmes.' Sam tells her over the phone.

When Rose arrives, she's still sitting in her car. She has been avoiding him. In a way, Damon is right. If she killed him, it would be over, but she wouldn't. There is only one other way. Try to look past it. She finally steps out and walks past a blond girl who takes a file out of her car. Rose recognizes the victim's name: 'Katie Holmes, you're working on the same case?'

The blond turns around: 'Are you...? Are you here with Sam and Dean?'

Rose nods.

'Can you play along? Ok? I'm Jo.' The blond says, sounding a bit nervous but also excited. Jo from the roadhouse, this isn't going to end well.

'It's so convenient.' Jo says.

'Yeah, it's a great building; fixed it up real nice. All the apartments come furnished, too.' The landlord tells them.

'It is so spacious. You know, that's why I told my friend that she absolutely had to come to check it out.' She looks at Rose: 'Don't you think they did a good job?'

'I have to admit, she was right. You did an outstanding job with this place.' Rose tells the landlord.

Dean and Sam walk into the hallway, both looking confused.

'Oh, look, there they are. That's Dean; he is her boyfriend.' Jo nudges Rose. 'And his brother.' Jo points out Sam. Rose pulls Dean closer, letting her hand rest on his arm.

'Good to meet you. Quite a gal you've got here.' The landlord tells Dean.

He glances at Rose: 'Yeah, what a lucky guy I am.'

'What do you think of the apartment?' Rose asks Dean smoothly: 'The one for rent?'

'Yeah. Yes. Loved it. Heh. Great flow.' Dean answers.

'How did you get in?' The landlord asks.

'It was open.' Dean says, turning back to him.

'Now, Ed, when did the last tenant move out?' Jo asks the landlord.

'Oh, about a month ago. Cut and run, too. Stick me for the rent.'

Jo looks at Rose and Dean: 'So...?'

Rose looks at Dean: 'Now if you like it?' She has her hand on his back and slowly removes it. 'We'll take it.' Rose says. She doesn't wait for a response and gives some money from her purse.

On their way up to the apartment, Jo leads the way. Rose walks last. She sees Sam talk to Dean. 'No, don't.' Dean says and turns to look at her before walking faster and catching up with Jo.

Sam slows his speed. Rose's phone goes. 'I'm going to answer.' She tells the three of them. She stays in the hallway: 'Hey, Damon.' The apartment door closes, and she is alone.

'Finally, why didn't you answer?'

'Are you ok?'

'Yes, are you?'

Rose sighs and walks a bit further. 'Of course I am. Ok, it was a strange experience to, you know to save him when he....'

'When he...?'

Sam walks through the hall looking for Rose but stops when he hears her talking: 'Come on, Damon, you want me to keep repeating myself. He is a doppelgänger, and it's creepy. You happy now?' The more she says it, the less she wants to acknowledge it.

'Ok, it's good, but tell me when you want to talk about it?'

Rose turns around and sees Sam. She didn't hear him: 'I will, but I'll have to go.' She tells Damon.

Sam walks towards her: 'We don't know what happened here and need to search the two lower floors.'

'I know you heard something. Spill it!'

They start walking: 'What do you mean with "He is a doppelgänger" and that you saved him? It was Dean you're talking about?'

Rose looks at him: 'Yes, Dean looks a lot like someone I used to know. We should scan the building first. It's easier to explain with pictures. I promise that I'll explain tomorrow.'

'Ok.' Sam answers and takes the EMF meter.