Seventeen✔️

-9:56 pm-

Hours later and serene was still in labor. She was experiencing an unknown amount of pain and it was hurting me to see her like this and to know I'd be like that in a few months time.

Serene was grabbing her back and screaming out in excruciating pain. She had hot tears trailing down her pale cheeks.

Her breathing was increasing and her blood pressure was rising.

I walked from the end of the bed to the side where she was facing. She looked up at me with agony flooding her eyes with each tear that dared to drop.

A knock was heard from the door and with a 'come in' that escaped my parted lips, her nurse appeared from the other side.

She smiled and walked to the end where serene's legs were parted, giving a clear view of her dilating vagina. "I'm just gonna check her cervix. Is that okay mom ?" She looked from me to serene.

Serene turned over on her aching back and gave a firm nod, scrunching her face up at the movement.

I grabbed the oxygen mask and applied it to her face, she grabbed my wrist and brung it to her side and rested her head for comfort.

"Alright mom, spread your legs for me and relax-I'm gonna insert two fingers on each side and spread them apart." She dried her hands before helping serene divide her limbs.

Serene groaned in pain and I bent down and kissed her head for comfort, which I instantly regretted when I came in contact with a hot,wet, salty substance.

About 1 minute later, she removes her glove covered fingers and removed the gloves, walking over to the sink and thoroughly washing her hands.

"You're almost ready to push mom-9 cm dilated, I'll alert your doctor and start getting everything ready for your delivery." She smiled and disappeared out the door.

I looked down to serene with proudness. My best friend was here having a baby.

With all the excitement that rushed through my bloodstream, I had a gut punching feeling-guilt. I felt guilty that she didn't know her husband was hospitalized and I did.

I squeezed her hand and rubbed her back side soothingly," it's almost time to meet your babygirl. All that pain you're feeling now will soon be over beautiful." She smiled and cried silently.

"Sometimes- sometimes I think I'll turn out just like my mother. Drug addict, alcoholic, and the list goes on." She paused, "but, I remember I have something she never did." She looked to me with a smile.

"I have love. The type of love that never runs out." She grabbed my hand and brung it to her lips, placing a small peck. "Thank you. For not giving up on me at my lowest. For even being here with me right now." She had tears, threatening to flood.

Her blood pressure had dropped back to its normal state and I was relieved. "Don't thank me for doing what a friend is supposed to do serene." I rubbed her forearm and sighed silently.

The door reopened and Alex entered the room with a wide grin on his lips. He closed the door gently and walked completely in the room, throwing his arms around my waist.

Serene giggled and released my hand. "Y'all should date already. Y'all are just to cute for me." She turned her head over in pain and buried the side of her face into the pillow.