CHAPTER 55- Waves of fatigue

The wind howls around me as I fall. I scream, then take a sharp, deep breath as the water rushes to meet me, all happening in about three seconds. At the last moment, I shut my eyes.

I hit the water on my back. Air left my mouth when I hit. I gurgled a cry for help. I was weak, but I tried to swim like Kadek did, I just ended up flailing around. I sank into the water, thrashing. Water went up my nose. Scared for my life, and the lives of others if nobody knows about the Keeper, I tried to think logically. I held my breath as I went under. Soon my entire body was below the lapping waves, and the waves were getting bigger, and stronger. As soon as I was completely submerged, I open my eyes. The saltwater stings my eyes, but I don't care. I don't want to die in darkness. There is a kelp forest under me, and no matter where I turn, all I see is blue ocean. I look up. The surface of the water is probably six inches from my face, but I can't reach it. I see the boat to one side, and try to remember where the shore was. Maybe I can make it. Maybe not, but I hope I can. I make my legs straight and lock my knees then I kick. I rise slowly until I'm getting another breath on the surface. I move my arms like I did when I was in the gel, in circular motions. It might not have helped much then, but now it's saving my life.

I can swim! I think to myself. I might not be good but at least this is helping, at least this is something! Suddenly a wave pushed me under again and I sank once more. As I went under, my ears popped and a huge bubble of air pushed its way out of my chest, then blew out my mouth. Without the air holding me up, I began to sink faster. I kicked to try and resurface. The surface was inches from me when another, bigger wave crashed down in front of me, forcing me down. I hit the ocean floor hard.

The floor was soft and dark, for shadows were cast upon it by the kelp. It was littered with shells and rocks. Far above me is the surface. Also above me, the water is tinted red. Blood attracts sharks. I stare up at the surface, I surely can't reach it in time now, but I need to. I get about half way, when my leg is grabbed by some mysterious creature and the harder I pull away, the harder its grip. I look down, to find that it is not some mysterious creacher, but kelp tangled around my leg. I pull and rip at it, but I am weak and tired, and it simply won't come off. My throat claws at my mouth, my lungs, at my throat. Even though I'm under water, tears leave my eyes. I can't breathe, I can't move. I can't swim.

A dark figure swims towards me from the shallow water. Moving fast and sleek like a seal. At first I thought it was a shark or crocodile, but it was human sized and shaped. They were too big to be Kadek, and nobody else could swim, but this was nearly full sized. Could it be, a mermaid? The figure reached out for me. It was big and strong, and most importantly, it was real. My vision was blurry, but I didn't see legs. It must have been a mermaid. Or merman. The merperson used a knife of sorts to cut off the kelp. They guided me to the surface. I could tell they were male, but I couldn't see their face. My lungs once again screamed for air. We made it to the surface. I gulped air and my body relaxed, and now I didn't have to worry. No problems, just the sea, the man, and me. Nothing mattered. I tried once more to see his face, but everything was dark, and blurry. I tried to ask his name, but it came out in a confused mumble. My vision darkened until it faded into black.