CHAPTER 13~Little Emma

I was strolling along the deck when a trapdoor in the floorboards sprung open, and a young girl, maybe 8, pulled a potted plant out.She had long straight black hair, and was wearing dirty clothes. She saw me staring and turned red.

"Hello," I say cheerfully "What's your name?"

" I'm Emma, a botanist." she managed to get out sheepishly. She strapped the plant to the deck and pulled another one inside, explaining with little words that she was circulating their sun hours. Measured to give each plant some sun until the sun lights inside powered up.

"I'm Akari, you can call me Kari." I say. She looks at the floorboards. Then the boat rocked and a plant fell over. I helped her prop it up again.

" It was nice meeting you"I tell her and start to turn away, when she noticed the apple in my hand and said she would trade me her bracelet for it. The bracelet is silver, probably not real though, and it weaves itself into intricate designs, it looks like a family heirloom. You can't find those kinds of things anymore. I turn around and toss the apple to her. She startles and nearly drops it.

"Keep it" I called to her over the wind. She looked very happy to have it, but instead of eating it she ripped it open and stole the seeds. She gave the rest back to me, gave me a quick unexpected hug, then she hopped gleefully into the trap door she emerged from less than a minute ago.

"I got malus domestica seeds! I got malus domestica seeds!" She cried to her companions with the joy of a child on christmas.

Oh, right. Botanist. I backed away carefully, then sprinted to the cabin. I have an idea.