CHAPTER 14~Seeds of Friendship

After seeing this strange celebration over a small amount of seeds, I figured they would be much happier with more seeds, plus more plants mean more food. It's a win-win. I grabbed a sorting bin from the unsorted piles on the deck, and took it to the kitchen.

I explained how important seeds were to the botinesests and to our future in Australia. Soon the bin was already full of pits, apple cores, and hundreds of seeds. They said they will save the seeds to be brought to the botanists. A girl in the hall volunteered to deliver the seeds.

I showed her the way to the kitchen, then I helped her carry the bin the fastest route to the deck, showed her where the trapdoor was and knocked. Emma just happened to be the person to answer the door. She noticed the box, opened it and screamed. She ran around the lab down there, screaming out things like

"Ananas comosus!"and "cocos nucifera"and "persea americana"and "citrus limon"and a couple other things that make no sense whatsoever. She came out and started hugging us. Then I pulled a pumpkin seed, still with gunk hanging from it, out of my pocket and I told her,

"When we get to the new land I will make sure that you have your own lab so you can do your own research and make your own life. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why they call it the present. Make today count." She smiled up at me and stared into my eyes. Her little green eyes were sparkling with excitement. She nodded, then retreated into the lab, still clutching her little seed in her fist.

I went to bed in my cabin, it was already almost dark. The bed was so fluffy and soft, that I couldn't sleep, so I grabbed a nearby cardboard box and emptied the books out of it. It was too small to fit inside, so I ripped it open and laid it down on my soft mattress. I fell asleep in less than a minute. Maybe I'll be used to sleeping on soft surfaces, but not today.