CHAPTER 15~Sugar and Death

I awoke to the sound of waves slapping the boat with such an inticity that you would believe the waves were no less than a steam train and the boat, a paper bag blowing in the wind. Unfortunate enough to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I sprung out of the soft mattress -which had caved in on my body despite the cardboard-I put on a comfortable outfit and bolted out of the cabin. I practically teleported to the bridge of the ship. I realized that something was wrong before I even opened the door. A woman was in the corner crying and everyone was discussing in whispered voices.

" WHAT HAPPENED?" I yell above the noises of the storm. A guy, about 26, pulls me over and tells me the story.

"A young child, only four years old fell overboard. The boys' father immediately jumped over to save him. Sadly neither of them could swim to safety ,and they were lost to the storm." he said..

" Is that the boys' mother?" I ask barely over a whisper, looking to the wailing women in the corner.

"Yes, she only has one child left and the child doesn't understand where her brother and father are. The mother didn't know what to say, and told the child to go to sleep. Once the child went to sleep, she came up here." the man explained to me.

" I know it's horrible, but maybe say that her dad and brother fell into the water and were swept far away and that they will never see them again?"I suggest "then the child will be weary of the water and no longer ask of her father". The man thought for a while and said that might do just fine. I hope so, because to lose your family is terrible,so to think that they are dead must be alot worse.

I was ordered to leave, and so I walked along the deck. Not knowing what to do, I sat down. My eyes drifted to the trap door. I rapped on it. Emma answered the door (again) and put a finger to her lips. I asked if I could come in, and then she gestured me in.

"We have some people who are doing very delicate work,do not disturb them,"she whispered as she ushered me in. She brought me to a door with a hand-made paper sign that said 'EMMa'S RooM. Do Not DiStURB' in a child's handwriting.The room was about 9 ft by 10 ft and had a straw mat,a basin, and a pile of soil in a 1 foot by 3.5 feet wooden box with clear plastic covering it. There were a few sprouts reaching for the porthole in the wall next to them. She thanked me for the seeds and asked whats up. I told her that I know where a sugar plant sapling is and she can grow it in her greenhouse.

"Are we allowed to take it ?"she asked with a hint of suspicion in her voice.

"Only if we replant it into the soil of Australia." I replied with a giggle. Her little eyes looked like little jade beads, and they seemed to be smiling. She didn't even have to open her mouth for me to understand.

"Let's do it!" she says eagerly. I smile and lead her down the hallway.