CHAPTER 44~Kadek's Tale

"That's the thing, I remember it all. I just want to forget." He begins. "One day my older brother, Arief, told me to go to the main fishing grounds and check out traps. I had about five fish and I was walking back when planes flew over our island. The dropped small capsules and soon my village was in flames. My brother had already turned one of our buildings upside-down and was pushing people into it. We had some small huts that were also boats in case of a flood or if we had to leave the island. Almost everyone was floating off in a boat. The smoke was so thick we couldn't see far, and it was nearly impossible to breath. I was in the last boat with my brother,and some others. Suddenly the planes were back. Now we could tell they were royals, and that's when most gave up. They dropped bombs onto our boats one by one. A boat less than five feet away exploded and everyone in my boat was thrown into water less than a foot from the shore. My brother saw the planes loop back for us, and he ordered everyone to get to the town hall. I went to stand again, but my foot was stuck between rocks in the water. Areif pulled me out, but the bombs were dropping again. They went completely over us and dropped them on what was left of our village. People were screaming, I was screaming, but my brother was almost calm. They came back for us and my brother held me underwater for a few seconds. The light above the water flashed, and then, my brother let go. He dragged me onto shore and ran into the village to find other survivors. He promised he would come back. They dropped another bomb and I knew it was over. They left, and everything went black." he said. His voice was steady until the end. He was wracked with sobs after his gruesome story was over. Now we know why he was always so upset. Now we knew why he wanted to go back.

"We should at least go back and get flashlights and tell everyone." I say. He nods understandingly. I know he wants to just run back, but he stays with us. We wander around the island until we find a path. We follow it back to our camp. Tyler is outside with Lilly. There is a machine strapped over his chest with a bright flashing light. The two seem happy together again.

I grab Emma, and Emma tells some friends and they tell their friends and so on, until there are almost 200 of us! I told them what we were doing, and about 50 or so left. Most acted like they didn't care, but I know they were all scared to search a dark building, with the chance of a Keeper in there.