48|| The Last Adieu.

Start from the beginning

"Perhaps we could show them how it's properly done?" He offered her his hand, taking her aback. She didn't think he'd want to duel her. There was a taunting twinkle in his blue eyes, one that caused her to take his hand and let him lead her to the centre of the room. She looked into his icy eyes the whole time, daring him to break the contact. Her chin was held high even as she bowed, and the other Slytherins could feel the magic cackling between them.

Flashes of colours swirled across the room, their hands moving with enormous speed that the Knights saw nothing but a blur of movements. Most of the spells were unfamiliar to the rest of the Slytherins, even nonverbal occasionally. He did the classic move, creating a snake with the wave of his wand.

"Ah, Riddle. Try being a bit more creative, would you?" She teased breathlessly, the snake erupting into flames as she shot back.

"You're still rather pathetic, Bonaccord," he answered, purposefully trying to irk her. She only smiled devilishly, sending a spell hurtling towards him. Tom barely missed it.

"Is that so?" She countered, the chandelier that once hung gloriously above them now went crashing to the floor, but Tom managed to avoid it.

He summoned the shards of glass, the broken crystal forming a serpent that rushed towards her. The crystalline snake lunged at her, almost attacking her. But at last minute, she was able to shoot a Confringo spell at it.

"This is a great opportunity for me to express my undying hatred towards you, Tom Riddle," she exclaimed between heaving breaths, sending blue flames his way.

"Last time I checked, it was undying love."

"You flatter yourself too much."

They seemed to forget that they weren't alone, and that they had an audience watching them interestingly. The duel went on for half an hour, more or less, but not one of the Knights dared faltering their gaze. It was such an engrossing duel, like none they had witnessed before. It ended with Tom disarming Rosalind, much to their dismay. They would've all liked seeing their all too perfect Lord disarmed by a girl that was as close to him as a lover.

***

3 am. Rosalind and Tom were left alone in the Room of Requirement, not a single word exchanged between them after the departure of the Knights.

Tom finally spoke, breaking the silence with words that broke her heart. "So this it. You're leaving."

He was sat on his usual armchair, but she was restless and kept pacing back and forth. Her heart thudded against her chest, and she could actually feel the pulse in her throat.

"I am," she huffed, and her pacing began to frustrate him as the minutes passed. He startled her when he stood up abruptly, stopping her by placing two firm hands on her arms.

"Don't leave me. Don't you dare leave me," desperation was laced within his words, making sweet agony sear through her heart. It didn't occur to her that Tom would ever become attached.

She shook her head, desolate tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Despite everything she had to endure, leaving Tom was definitely the worst.

"Why? You keep pushing me away all year long and now when I have no choice, you ask me to stay? Why are you doing this, Tom?" She tried to muster up whatever strength left in her after she saw the look on his face. Despair entwined with anger.

"Because you made me fucking love you!" His words were venomous and he said them with a higher tone, the profanity slipping off his tongue mercilessly.