4|| Lies and Notes.

ROSALIND WALKED BACK TO the Ravenclaw common room feeling somewhat down after her encounter with Tom Riddle.

What she wanted more than ever was to avoid being exposed, yet not even one week into the school year, and an evil psychopath is threatening her.

While her thoughts swirled like a tornado in her mind, mostly being of a way to avoid Tom Riddle, Oliver Dennington walked around the corner, seemingly heading to the Ravenclaw common room as well.

"Hey, Rosalind!" Oliver's face morphed into a huge grin at his friend, while Rosalind managed to give him a weak smile.

"What's wrong with you?" The Ravenclaw prefect asked, concerned, after catching up with the french blonde.

"I'm just exhausted," Rosalind didn't seem to find a suitable lie about her feelings, and she felt terrible lying to one of her closest friends.

But he certainly shouldn't know of Tom Riddle and his nefarious ways.

"Oh come on, Rosa. I know how it's like when you're exhausted, and it's nothing like this. What's going on with you? You know you could tell me," Her friend insisted, and she let out an exasperated sigh at his nagging.

"Would you like to walk around a bit?" Rosalind suggested, still not planning on telling him anything.

"Splendid!" Oliver beamed, any trace of worry erased immediately off his face.

***

The hills and land surrounding Hogwarts were completely bathed in moonlight by eight. Rosalind, as she'd recommended, was standing next to her close friend, facing a large window.

The scene beyond was enchanting. The moonlight set a glimmering lustre on the placid waves of the Black Lake. Stars sparkled in the pitch black sky, forming patterns and shapes only visible to the observant eye and the wild imagination.

Everything around was incredibly silent. Making Rosalind close her eyes, savouring the soft zephyr that danced on her face, and tangled between her wild blonde curls. Rosalind felt serenity for the first time this week.

Well, that was until the annoying voice of Oliver Dennington –only at that time– interrupted her peacefulness.

"It's ironic, honestly, how we're really close but barely know anything about eachother," Oliver smiled, still staring at the view ahead, while Rosalind's heart sank to the pit of her stomach. She didn't know what to say, so she just chuckled instead.

"So, Rosalind Bonaccord, tell me, why did you transfer to Hogwarts?" Rosalind straightened her back and looked outside the window. She hated herself for the terrible lies that would escape her mouth, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

"My father found a job at the ministry," She mumbled, not daring to look into the hazel eyes of her best friend.

"Typical. What does your father do?" Rosalind gulped, thinking as hard as possible of a suitable job.

"He works in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes."

"That's interesting, I've always thought about working in the Ministry," She could tell through the tone of his voice that he was grinning. And she felt terrible for it.

"Now, that we're one step ahead," Oliver uttered, and Rosalind felt her stomach churn uneasily.

Why was she so reserved in revealing any true information about herself, even to the closest of her friends?