1|| New Beginnings.

"MY LITTLE ROSIE POSIE!" Jewel Ambrose called from downstairs, her shrill voice managing to reach her daughter's bedroom on the upper floor.

Rosalind did not reply, but instead focused on her hair that was sticking out in various angles. She groaned exasperatedly, stomping her foot on the wooden tiles before her mother barged in.

"Are you ready, darling?" The older woman asked, a huge grin making its way on her face when she noticed her daughter's state. "You've been fixing your hair for the last twenty minutes, dear. Just leave it be."

Her hands were becoming sore from working on her hair and she wasn't really known for her athletic physique, but she was intent on making a good first impression. After all, she'd spent the last five years of her life learning etiquette at Beauxbatons.

"Just give me five more minutes mum, go get Samantha or something before we leave," she dismissed her mother hastily, finally finding a spell that left her long waves cascading neatly down her back. Jewel gave her a questioning glance, her brows knotted together in confusion.

Rosalind sighed, she could never get used to her mother in this condition. "Samantha, your nurse. Remember, mum?"

A look of realisation overcame the latter's features as she recognised her caretaker. She nodded absentmindedly, and left the room without a single word said.

Jewel Ambrose was never quite the same after what had happened only a couple of months earlier, to the point that she needed a nurse from St. Mungo's to take care of her while Rosalind was gone.

And having to move to England after living most of their lives in France was not very beneficial to the two females. Especially Rosalind, who now had to change schools and her whole environment. She didn't have much friends back in her old school, but it still wasn't easy to change countries altogether.

Rosalind sighed once again, grabbing her trunk and her grey owl in its cage before vacating her bedroom. Lyra had been a gift from her late uncle. The french blonde tried swallowing the lump growing in her throat, but her attempts were futile. After all, the pain of losing uncle Onyx was still fresh in her heart. Two months weren't at all enough to ease her sorrows.

She found her mother and Sam waiting on the porch, and she reached them quickly so that they could apparate to King's Cross Station. Rosalind had preferred to go alone, but Jewel and Samantha insisted that they dropped her off before she departed to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Take good care of her, Samantha, please," Rosalind finally spoke once they were in the station, smiling warmly at the healer. Sam was only a few years younger than her mother, which made her certain it wouldn't be hard for them to get along well.

The nurse returned the smile, tucking a strand of her flaming hair swiftly behind her ear. "Don't worry, she's in good hands. Now all you do is walk through that barrier and you'll find the Hogwarts Express."

The sixteen year old nodded, hugging her mother one last time before darting through the border and emerging on the other side.

***

Reaching the scarlet train was a struggle when the platform was crowded to the brim with families. She pushed against the students and parents, muttering quick apologies with her trunk and owl held securely in her hands.

Once she reached the train, Rosalind halted in her tracks. She looked briefly inside, and none of the students had their luggage with them in their compartments. Oh no. Her heartbeat escalated with anxiety as she looked around, desperately trying to find where the baggage had gone.