Chapter 43: Like Sugarcane

🐈🐈🐈

Did I really scent Namjoon while I was a cat? As I get dressed again in the privacy of his bedroom, I blush red at the thought. The implications of that was a direct interpretation of how much he meant to me.

I haven't told him that yet, but I guess the fact that I scented him sort of says it all without my mouth having to find the words.

Initially, it had scared me. I knew I was falling in love with him and the idea was intimidating. This was...different. I've never loved someone like this, to the point that it feels like he makes up a part of me that I never realized was missing.

But that's exactly what it feels like. Colors are brighter, food tastes better, the whole world is more beautiful than it's ever been because I have him. It feels strange to think that I used to live a life with no Namjoon.

A life with no Eskimo kisses, or love poems written for me, or someone holding my hand all the way to and from school, or late nights where he tries to impress me with his knowledge of constellations. Except that he has zero knowledge about them and ends up renaming them all after our cats. ("That one is Madam Sparklepuss because it looks like it's wearing a crown.")

While it was frightening to realize I had fallen so hard for him, at the same time, it felt so good to let go and just fall. To let these feelings take over me completely. I was through with running from it, and after BooBoo left, I needed something stable to hold me up.

Namjoon was the perfect choice because of the mate bond since he can't run away from me.

He's stuck.

Lucky him.

Also he's perfect because he's Namjoon. I don't know how but he always seems to know what I need before even I do.

After BooBoo, everyone sort of banded together to help. At the time I was so depressed I didn't realize it, but now when I think back on it I realize how much they all did for me. Surprising. I wasn't aware that many people liked me.

The main three were Namjoon, Eun-ji, and Lucifairy. Namjoon and Eun-ji got me. They understand what BooBoo had meant to me and what losing him had done to my spirit. At one point, I felt strangely ashamed that I was so depressed and broken over the loss of a pet. Society told me that it was 'just a cat'. That animals aren't on the same level as people.

Supposedly, we're superior. Maybe. But what had society done for me that my pets hadn't?

Society wasn't there for me when I lost my mom. Society didn't stick by my side and make me feel loved and made sure I had a companion. Society didn't give a shit every time I cried, whether it was over something serious or trivial.

That was all BooBoo. He carried that.

And now my sweet little Luci is trying her best to keep me company. I have no idea why she started sticking so close to me, but I'm not complaining. I still miss my orange, grandpa cat like crazy, but at least I don't feel alone.

A knock sounds at the door and I startle slightly, having been lost in thought.

"Y/n? Are you decent?"

Namjoon. What should I say when I see him? 'Yeah, so I scented you but it's because you smelled like a bowl of ice cream'. But it's true. And the funniest part, he smells like mint chocolate chip.

I'm gonna throw that in his face.

When I'm less self conscious over what I just did.

This was the first time I've ever been close enough as a cat to smell him, so it had caught me off guard. Why did he smell that good? He doesn't smell like that when I'm a human. And it's not just mint chocolate chip ice cream. It's mint chocolate chip ice cream with a touch of maple syrup and something homey that vaguely reminds me of my childhood. And it isn't just that smell that got to me, it's the way it made me feel. Like...I was home, safe and warm, cuddled in my bed.