Chapter 2: I'll Try Again Tomorrow

🐈🐈🐈

"Then." Namjoon drops to one knee, presenting the feline to me now with both arms outstretched. "Please go out with me."

I stare blankly at him for a moment as his words and intentions sink in. This was why he brought this adorable creature before me, wasn't it? As some sort of sick bait to give if I said yes and take away if I said no? The thought of the kitty being taken away filled me with a profound sadness and solidified an opinion in my mind.

Kim Namjoon was an evil bitch.

My thoughts and emotions must have shown on my face more than I realized because a moment later he was assuring me in a soft, slightly panicked voice. "I mean, the cat is yours either way," he said quickly, forcing the squirming animal into my hands. "I don't have anywhere to keep it."

Kim Namjoon was a wonderful human being.

"And besides," he stood and moved a hand to rub anxiously at the back of his neck, "I really like you."

Normally that probably would have at least flustered me a bit but I was so caught up in the fluffy ball of fur in my hands that I could barely focus on what he was saying. I happily rubbed my cheek against her soft ears, smiling fondly and then gasping when she became transfixed by a lock of my hair and attacking it cutely. I think my heart exploded again. Why the hell was this baby so cute?

"Are...are you listening?"

I wasn't. "Yes." I dangled the bit of hair and brushed it against the feline's face, causing her to blink in surprise before she assaulted it once again. I swear this cat is trying to kill me with cuteness. I barely registered the stretch of silence on Namjoon's end until he spoke again.

"Can I hold her for a minute?"

I turned, burying my new child closer into my chest, arms protectively shielding her from view. My eyes narrowed in on the older male in suspicion."Why?"

Sighing, he put up both hands in surrender. "I'm not taking her from you." he reassured. "But you-you-" he stuttered as his cheeks took on a pink tint, "didn't answer yet. I thought maybe she's distracting you."

Oh. What was the question again? My head and entire world was now filled with this cat. I honestly don't even remember what I was doing before he pulled it out of his pocket. Quickly taking in the surrounding courtyard and a few other students eating with their groups of friends, I remember. My interrupted manga, the kitten, the confession. Not for the first time, I wonder if my cat obsession is too much. Mentally I scoff. As if that was possible.

But getting back to Namjoon. As thankful as I am to him now for giving me this gift, I still felt zero desire to have any sort of romantic connection to him. Ever since he's started his weird stalker-like staring I've tried to mentally prepare a list of excuses to give him if he ever actually confessed, ranging from, "I'm gay" to "My family is strict and I'm not allowed to date". Now as I look back into Namjoon's patiently waiting face, my conscience laid a heavy weight of guilt over my heart at the prospect of lying to him. He gave me a gift and in exchange I would give him the truth. It's not an exchange he would profit from, but it was the least I could offer him.

Bowing shortly so as not to jostle the kitten in my arms, I finally replied. "I'm sorry," I spoke while keeping eye contact so he would know my apology was sincere. "I don't feel the same."

Out of all the different scenarios of how he would react when I rejected him, I never once expected the one I was met with.

He nodded firmly before flashing me a close lipped smile exposing twin dimples, one on each cheek, that had me blinking in surprise. I had not expected two cute attacks in one day. Pretty sure I'm gonna go into heart failure if this keeps up. Before I could think further on that thought, his smiled dropped and a look of set determination overcame his features, his chin protruded slightly.